singlespeed conversion virgin, noob questions !

robadub

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hi guys, thinking of getting hold of an old clockwork and converting to singlespeed, just wandering what the craic is really, is there much cost involved ? are there any decent online guides ? with regard to the cranks can i just take the outer and inner rings off and use the middle ring ? or do i need to get specific singlespeed cranks and chainring ? and on the rear hub what goes on there ? also what sort of ratio should a fat unfit mainly road user like myself be looking at ? thanks in advance

Just done this on my zaskar (see signature) for the first time.

You need a tensioner. Gusset do a nice one for £10 on ebay direct from their warehouse. That keeps the chain tight.

You need a chain. You should be able to get this easily enough :LOL: I just use a normal chain, others may say the pressure you put on the single rings means you need a more heavy duty one. I disagree based on my experience so far.

You need a chainring on the front. Again, I just used a normal chainring, cheaper then specific single speed ones. You do however need single speed chainring bolts, again, online is best place to buy these cheap. Any cranks will do.

Whip your cassette off, put a single speed cog on the back and fill the gap left with spacers to align the chain. Take a few links out of the chain so it is nice and tight and away you go.

coomber":2ih66vfx said:
Just done this on my zaskar (see signature) for the first time.

You need a tensioner. Gusset do a nice one for £10 on ebay direct from their warehouse. That keeps the chain tight.

You need a chain. You should be able to get this easily enough :LOL: I just use a normal chain, others may say the pressure you put on the single rings means you need a more heavy duty one. I disagree based on my experience so far.

You need a chainring on the front. Again, I just used a normal chainring, cheaper then specific single speed ones. You do however need single speed chainring bolts, again, online is best place to buy these cheap. Any cranks will do.

Whip your cassette off, put a single speed cog on the back and fill the gap left with spacers to align the chain. Take a few links out of the chain so it is nice and tight and away you go.

Thats great thanks, so it is just a case of taking the outer and inner chainrings off at the front end

what about ratios ?

I read a bit before I did mine and think the general idea is half - ie 32 front and 16 rear.

Saying that, I went for 34 / 19 as its what parts I could salvage. Its quite a hrad ratio for me though.

Yep, can just take off inner and outer chainring, but you will need shorter chainring bolts, or to cut down the existing ones.

Yep, you can sometimes get away with it if you have enough tension with the chain, its a lottery though, and chains stretch. Or, I think you can use a half link to cut the gap, but again, not 100% sure on that and of its longevity.

What bike is it for? If it has slightly horizontal dropouts you can slide the rear wheel forwards or back a centremetre so that you get perfect tension.

coomber":4c69vxpv said:
Yep, you can sometimes get away with it if you have enough tension with the chain, its a lottery though, and chains stretch. Or, I think you can use a half link to cut the gap, but again, not 100% sure on that and of its longevity.

What bike is it for? If it has slightly horizontal dropouts you can slide the rear wheel forwards or back a centremetre so that you get perfect tension.

ok thanks, hoping to pick up an early 90's orange clockwork (though not actually purchased anything yet).

Back