single speed gear ratio?

Hello guys,

I like to say thanks for the info and tips, will use the info when I make a single speed bike later on.

Cheers :D

32:16 off road, though keep meaning to try the magic ratio for Bonty frames, not that i can remember it!!

older frames?

One issue I have with my '95 is that the dropouts are somewhat slanted and verticle--when I hit a steep climb i have been pulling my wheel out, i have just switched to a threaded axel to see if it helps. i couldnt get the QR tight enough. i am 32/16 and running with a surly singleator. any thoughts on this issue?

to 95_KHS_Halson,

Your frame may allow you to ditch the singulator. Get hold of a 3/32 half link chain which allows much more incremental chain length adjustments coupled with your threaded axle and the slanted dropouts will allow a degree of rear axle movement. Thus the chain tension could be provided by pulling the axle back into the dropout and tightened down with the axle bolts.
This will work if your dropouts have a bit of length to them say at least 1/2 inch before the axle comes out.

To stop your wheel being pulled out stick with threaded axle, proper singlespeeds with track ends use bolted hubs, quick release is not strong enough.

Cheers

Back