Silverfish 1992 Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Choosing between Syncros and Answer for the cockpit was a long hesitation for mine. Glad we took different routes, so that everyone can see the options :)

Answer would have been the easier option for me, the Syncros bar, cranks and a stem with no noodle took me a long time to find in that condition! I wanted to follow the 92 advert spec as closely as possible but then bling it up just a little more 🤣

Good to have different build options out there. My 95 San Andreas is very different but this 92 is far and away my favourite bike at the moment.

Nice work on the rebuild of the bike. At first I thought it was a mistake to remove the original parts but it turned out great!

img_6905-jpeg.862918

May I suggest that the spacers of the front hub aren't set correctly? I think that the large sides should face the fork dropouts for increased fork/hub interface and improved handling. Plus this way, the small sides are pushing only the inner races of the sealed bearings of the hub, letting the bearings run freely and thus smoothly. Well, this is how I set mines and I'm pretty sure having seen others doing the same:

p1030277-jpg.688423

Last edited:
I looked trough old documentation I got. You might be right. I've seen more old magazine reviews with the large flange going outwards. But I will look deeper into this. I will try to dig out some official adds to cross check. I also run the ones on my bike with the large flange towards the hub.

I found a Tioga Psycho add with Earthquacke Jack.
Looks like he was running the large flange outwards on his System II as well.

Attachments

• 1000031228 (2).jpg
    1000031228 (2).jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 6
img_6905-jpeg.862918

May I suggest that the spacers of the front hub aren't set correctly? I think that the large sides should face the fork dropouts for increased fork/hub interface and improved handling. Plus this way, the small sides are pushing only the inner races of the sealed bearings of the hub, letting the bearings run freely and thus smoothly. Well, this is how I set mines and I'm pretty sure having seen others doing the same:

p1030277-jpg.688423
I’m not sure outwards is right but I’ll double check it when I get the bike back. I’ve seen a few where the flange faces inwards not outwards - I think I set it up that way purely because I felt it looked better - and it certainly rides fine but I’ll try switching it and seeing if that makes a difference.
Looks like there is quite a mix out there 🤦‍♂️ IMG_0441.jpeg IMG_0443.jpeg IMG_0442.jpeg IMG_0444.jpeg

Back