Silverfish 1987 Mountain Klein

Silverfish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
😳

I need a new build project like I need a hole in the head 🤦‍♂️

But @Tsundere had had it advertised for a while. I nearly bit the bullet early but decided I would stay true to my new NO MORE HARDTAILS ethos and also my new NO MORE PRE 1990 BIKES ethos and also my new NO KLEINS ethos…

But I kept popping back to look at the pics and the possibilities with the build seemed endless and I’ve never done a Klein and I haven’t done a hardtail for a while and I do kinda like the whole pre 90s bike thing but I stood firm.

Then @Tsundere dropped the price and I thought **** it, why not 🤣

Then he changed his mind and took it off sale.

Close shave. Despite breaking all my new rules about what bikes I’m allowed to build - somehow it had worked out and I HADN’T bough a pre 1990 Klein hardtail. Result!!!

Then @Tsundere had a change of heart again and relisted it.

So despite my good intentions, somehow I’ve ended up with a pre 90 Klein hardtail 🤣🤣🤣

In fairness, an early Klein is probably the only Klein I’d ever build. I know it’s controversial but I never really ‘got’ the whole Klein deal in the 90’s. Always seemed a bit of a dentist bike 🤣 which is pretty rich coming from me 🤣🤣🤣

Anyways, story time over.

I need to research this bike more but I feel it could be an 85 - it’s unusual to have the roller cam brakes on both the front and rear - and despite all of the above - I’m pretty excited about building another mid 80’s MTB with bullmoose bars, and ticking off the early Klein box at the same time 🕺

I think I’m going to get it painted as well.

But for now here’s where the project starts and here’s somewhere that I hope it ends up… IMG_7061.jpeg IMG_7062.jpeg IMG_7063.jpeg

Updated thread title - pretty sure this is a 87 and not an 85. Based on the serial number 2M642 a very helpful gentlemen informed me that Mountain Klein # 1122 was ordered on 16/3/87 and delivered a week or so later. He got that information from the original owner who has a copy of the original invoice 😳

Based on mine being approximately 400 after that, he estimates mine is a mid 87 at the earliest. From 1985 through to 1989 there were a little over 3000 Mountain Kleins made.

Should make my tyre choice a little easier anyway 🤣

Nice stickers/brand/logos/decals depending on your preference.

Glad the DDKFC could help. (Deutschland Dentist Klein Fan Club!)

Never realised they made so many frames back then either!

Back