show us your modern-retro crossover bikes

Re:

2001 Santa Cruz Superlight with Modern, lightweight 1x10 set-up...

2000 King Kahuna with 2x9 lightweight set-up...

00KKKingSalsa020a.jpg

Links in sig to builds if you fancy looking at more pics/spec :)

Cheers

this thread is where most of my bikes sit and in many ways I think captures what mountain bikeing has been about, you buy a good frame and continue to improve the parts, you never, not even back in the day kept it in a single build state, things broke, you changed them. this is often missed by many retro bikers. Shame. I suggest we have a bike of the month nomination for old frames, not era specific necessarily. I think it would be much more interesting to see how people have kept their favourite bikes relevant and current but still original.

Re: Re:

RobMac":32cbwl1e said:
Matthews":32cbwl1e said:
Mine was 97 :D

OK then I'll give you that ;)
What size are the discs? And how did you mount the rear caliper?

Discs are a bit big at 203/180 but it's what I had lying around , will eventually drop to 180/160 (it does stop though !).

Brazed a disc tab on , i.e bit of steel plate drilled out to is spacing, grind to about right, chuck a wheel in with a disc on , position caliper on disc and laggy band round brake lever so it's all lined up , tack top and bottom in disc tab to hold it , disassemble and then get the oxy torch out and braze it on properly , tidy everything up and make it a nicer shape with the angle grinder , hey presto one 97 Lava Dome frame with a disc tab .

ti_pin_man":3cqfkujt said:
this thread is where most of my bikes sit and in many ways I think captures what mountain bikeing has been about, you buy a good frame and continue to improve the parts, you never, not even back in the day kept it in a single build state, things broke, you changed them. this is often missed by many retro bikers. Shame. I suggest we have a bike of the month nomination for old frames, not era specific necessarily. I think it would be much more interesting to see how people have kept their favourite bikes relevant and current but still original.

I concur, but a new frame with a smattering of old parts does not a retro-mod make. Come on guys, at least start with an old frame. This is the pre 98 forum, we don't want to see ugly, bendy downtubed 2014 abominations, post them on the modern forum.

'97 Stars n Bars I recently built for my brother.

SRAM X0 1x10, Middleburn RS8, Fox F80 RLC's, Tune seatpin, Ritchey Classic bars, polished up Easton stem, Chris King patriot headset. Couple of bits are in between Crossmax SL's, Contador edition SLR saddle and Avid Ultimate Black OPs brakes & levers.

Some strange ideas of modern-reto bikes on here!

Attachments

• 97-Stars-n-Bars.jpg
    97-Stars-n-Bars.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 744
Back