Show us your Kuwahara

I appreciate these are not MTB's but they are Kuwahara so I hope they adhere to at least half of the requirements.

I have two Kuwahara frames here, both rebranded by different companies. The first is a kieran frame, what is curious about this is that Kuwahara sold frames to Apollo who have a model called the Vitesse but this is a far cry from Apollo's version of the Vitesse, I am unsure if this was an Apollo model or not, it seems unlikely.

The second is road/sport frame sold under the name Hillman. Hillman Cycles was a company based around the north of Melbourne, Australia post WWII, they made highly revered frames in house as well as rebranded frames which is what this frame here is. The store Hillman Cycles only recently closed and sadly the old owner recently passed in late 2023.

Both of these frames are made from Ishiwata Magny with the forks being Tange. Neither are in great shape with the Hillman's fork being resprayed in a lovely shade of primer grey but I hope to do them justice one day.

Finally a branded Kuwahara headset and seat post binder.

IMG_8982 Large.jpeg IMG_8985 Large.jpeg IMG_8986 Large.jpeg IMG_8987 Large.jpeg IMG_8988 Large.jpeg IMG_8989 Large.jpeg IMG_8991 Large.jpeg IMG_8992 Large.jpeg
IMG_8979 Large.jpeg IMG_8980 Large.jpeg

I appreciate these are not MTB's but they are Kuwahara so I hope they adhere to at least half of the requirements.

I have two Kuwahara frames here, both rebranded by different companies. The first is a kieran frame, what is curious about this is that Kuwahara sold frames to Apollo who have a model called the Vitesse but this is a far cry from Apollo's version of the Vitesse, I am unsure if this was an Apollo model or not, it seems unlikely.

The second is road/sport frame sold under the name Hillman. Hillman Cycles was a company based around the north of Melbourne, Australia post WWII, they made highly revered frames in house as well as rebranded frames which is what this frame here is. The store Hillman Cycles only recently closed and sadly the old owner recently passed in late 2023.

Both of these frames are made from Ishiwata Magny with the forks being Tange. Neither are in great shape with the Hillman's fork being resprayed in a lovely shade of primer grey but I hope to do them justice one day.

View attachment 893249View attachment 893250View attachment 893251View attachment 893252View attachment 893253View attachment 893254View attachment 893255View attachment 893256
View attachment 893247View attachment 893248
@Guinessisgoodforyou

View attachment 893249View attachment 893250View attachment 893251View attachment 893252View attachment 893253View attachment 893254View attachment 893255View attachment 893256
View attachment 893247View attachment 893248
Lovely!

The work around the lugs and how they hug the tubes is a thing of beauty really!

Pretty amazing frames.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen a couple in the UK too, Ishiwata tubing, built by Kuwahara but branded as 'Hirame' All have been too big unfortunately, but equally well constructed. @Shimtournolo are you planning to build these up? Would be great to see how they ride!
Planning, yes but planning is a funny thing, it sometimes feels you have all the time in the world until you wake up one day and you realise you have been knocked unconscious because the heaving pile of beautiful bike frames you have has fallen on to you.
What I mean to say is I fully intend to do so but i'm unsure at this stage when that intention will manifest into a tangible reality. I will be sure to let you know and particularly how they ride!

Planning, yes but planning is a funny thing, it sometimes feels you have all the time in the world until you wake up one day and you realise you have been knocked unconscious because the heaving pile of beautiful bike frames you have has fallen on to you.
What I mean to say is I fully intend to do so but i'm unsure at this stage when that intention will manifest into a tangible reality. I will be sure to let you know and particularly how they ride!
Haha yes, some of my future projects are zip-tied to the rafters - so the threat is real 🙃

Back