Show us your Gravel Bikes

Front mechs?
Yes, they often run really close to the tyre. In my experience the tyre deposits clayey clag on them and that gets transmitted to drivechain, eventually (often pretty quickly) bringing everything to a standstill. It's why a lot of cross racers ran 1x before it was a "thing".
This is my favourite bike ever but it's pretty much a dry conditions only ride. It hardly clears 33mm tyres and soon clogs to a halt in the clag.
20220919_141941.jpg
I don't like marketing guff, but I can see that a gravel bike can be a useful, adaptable, durable, all conditions, fast bike that allows you to cover distance at speed and explore the rougher stuff too - mixing it up however you like.

Yes, they often run really close to the tyre. In my experience the tyre deposits clayey clag on them and that gets transmitted to drivechain, eventually (often pretty quickly) bringing everything to a standstill. It's why a lot of cross racers ran 1x before it was a "thing".
This is my favourite bike ever but it's pretty much a dry conditions only ride. It hardly clears 33mm tyres and soon clogs to a halt in the clag.
View attachment 887475
I don't like marketing guff, but I can see that a gravel bike can be a useful, adaptable, durable, all conditions, fast bike that allows you to cover distance at speed and explore the rougher stuff too - mixing it up however you like.
What you want is one of those new Clay Bikes. I've seen all sorts of solutions for keeping clart off your front mech, but binning it obviously wins. Agree 100% the sound of blocks grinding rims is painful to anyone with an ounce of mechanical sympathy. Notwithstanding the impediment to their function. Something quite exhilarating about unpredictable braking though.

Found another modern rando frameset:
New Albion Privateer.

Looks nice, but it looks like it's $380 for the frameset in the US and £650 ($860) in the UK.

WTF.

We can buy Soma cheaper retail + shipping from the us than trade here in the UK.
Nice frames, much nicer tube set than surly at similar price.
Oh and you don't need a beard to ride one! (😉)

don't sell many somas now (fogcutter was a fave)🙄

I often despair at UK retail prices.
When I was building up my PX Spitfire, a pair of new 10 speed Campy Veloces was £80 from Germany and £140 to buy from the UK.
I mean, I'm no retail expert, but £60 for packing & posting a parcel is a bit steep, even if you hire a solicitor to do the post office runs for you.:confused:

The German price won't include vat, and its probably the same retail in Germany as trade price to the UK retaler tbh

So sell at 140 = £24 vat, trade 80, margin £36 sounds about right.

It costs us £2 a minute to have the shop door open

Back