Show us your Gravel Bikes / committee meeting

It was after VAT at the time, but admittedly, it was on big sale at the German retailer.

Feel your pain re open doors - I used to have a wee woodwork side business in addition to my day job that I ended up closing because keeping the door open ended up costing 4 times more than before brexit. I know we're buggered, but knowing it doesn't mean that I wholeheartedly agree with it :LOL:

But they are slow AF compared to a road bike...
Life is a game you can't win ;)
Depends on the roads you're riding. Judging by strava, my gravel/cross bike is often faster than my road bike on lots of "road" sections round here. Admittedly, it's not a run of the mill cross bike. It's pretty highly specced, with some very fast wheels. But there again so is my road bike. 😁

It was after VAT at the time, but admittedly, it was on big sale at the German retailer.

Feel your pain re open doors - I used to have a wee woodwork side business in addition to my day job that I ended up closing because keeping the door open ended up costing 4 times more than before brexit. I know we're buggered, but knowing it doesn't mean that I wholeheartedly agree with it :LOL:
"Cough cough"
Taps gavel on mahogany tabletop

"Ladies and gentlemen - may I bring this meeting back to the matter in hand" IMG_20240926_100818.jpg
My bike here, affectionately known as the TiBride, started life as a dawes discovery 601 hybrid , supplied new in 2004 due to my beautiful longstaff having been eaten by a car. 😭

(I was spat out, but spent some time recovering a serious brain injury)

I bought in the dawes because it had touring geometry and IS disc mounts, so I could fit drop bars, 105 stis and avid bb7 calipers.

I don't really like aluminium frames beyond their function and weight, so I designed a frame using this and galaxy angles and lengths, but dropped the bb a couple of extra cm and adjusted tube length slightly to my own preference.
And a little extra tyre clearance.

I then got the frame made in 3/2.5 titanium alloy by XACD in China. A story in itself - but the workmanship is fantastic.

It now carries a hydro 105 compact 11 speed groupset with slx 11-40 cassette and hope road 4pot calipers.
Oh and Purple Pandas, as you can see.
The perfect bike😍👍

Last edited:
Great thread rescue there.
My original "gravel" bike. A very old Orbea (Arama Tour I think it was called - the decals have long since worn off). Came with IS disc mount and canti studs (never tried both at the same time!). PXL_20240924_170637018.jpg
Rode from Dieppe to Paris on and off road on it a few Sundays ago.

Since we've decided it's a committee meeting, we need to define what constitutes a "gravel" bike. 🧐
It's most certainly not the ability to go on gravel (I can do that on my 25c summer road tyres or on a 26er), not a 1x chainset (I've got that on all my bikes), not drop bars (I had them on my monster cross).
So how is a "gravel" different from a monster cross, CX, tourer, randonneuse?

I'll start:
A CX frame is too aggressive, with too high a BB. It loses out significantly to a "gravel" frame.😜

You want to be able to enjoy a long day in the saddle, so the seatpost needs to be quite relaxed, otherwise you won't fit an honest man's Lepper onto it, never mind an overpriced-overhyped-hipstercandy brooks.

Latest posts

Back