Show us your Gravel Bikes / committee meeting

While we're back at the Committee stage, I'd like to bring to the attention of those present that a third of US roads are unpaved, as opposed to perhaps 5% in the UK.

There are only a few areas of the UK where you can ride all day without touching tarmac.

so is this a gravel bike too? - seen here getting dirty on a recent Monsal Head outing ...
IMG_20230926_121215039 (Custom).jpg

...and before I restored it, in near original 1980s spec with deerhead groupo and enough clearance for fat 700C tyres

IMG_20230823_094657070.jpg
IMG_20230823_131458825.jpg
I looked at it as more of an early cyclo cross bike tbh but it rather fits the descriptions of what people describe as gravel albeit this predates fat aluminium tubing and sloping top tubes.

I dispute the assertion that all UK rides involve tarmac - not if you live in/near a national park like the peak district.

• Love
Reactions: R-V
I don't mean Tourers don't exist as bikes and riders in the americas, but as the Marketing Concept.

Early 2000s in the UK, tourers like the Raleigh Randonneur and CB Dalesman were very sporadic, and then the Dawes Galaxy got wound up
- and i don't think there was any marketing of them beyond touring specific publications - I.e. playing to a captive market.

And then US brands like Surly and Salsa brought the steel comfort distance bike back into the mainstream, with new riders encouraging fresh design ideas to get us to where we are today.
Touring bicycles were a bit more recognized in the usa than you make out. Trek started in the seventies and made them. Cannondale made them from the start. Schwinn made them. Bruce Gordon, Co motion, the list goes on

Ok after long and careful consideration,
I put this to the vote:

650, 700✅26❌
Bars: Drops✅ flats risers❌
Forks: Rigid✅suspension❌
Brakes: disk ✅caliper canti❌
Tyre: >35mm+✅ <32mm❌
Single double✅ triple❌
Cassette:>36t✅ <32t❌

I think you're allowed one e❌ception🤔
More than that and you're pushing it.

Last edited:
I think you're allowed one e❌ception🤔
More than that and you're pushing it.
I may have solved why I don't want a gravel bike. I'm on both sides for what I want when I eventually build up an old steel road bike
548fdd4e-2a2b-4a6f-b9a1-1cc202ab37f0~2.jpg 653abc96-8d08-47e5-bb5d-57057c094a20~2.jpg
I guess I'm doing this wrong again.
Here's what I am looking for
27"/700
Flats (one piece bull horn bar ends)
Rigid
Cantilever
Greater than 35mm+ (hopefully over 40)
Double (or if I must, triple)
Will determine gearing based on ride feel. No rule here, working for my legs is the only factor
Can I add downtube shifters as a requirement? Don't currently have any, and I loathe brake lever shifters. Won't even say that word

Last edited:
I may have solved why I don't want a gravel bike. I'm on both sides for what I want when I eventually build up an old steel road bike
View attachment 887984View attachment 887985
I guess I'm doing this wrong again.
Here's what I am looking for
27"/700
Flats (one piece bull horn bar ends)
Rigid
Cantilever
Greater than 35mm+ (hopefully over 40)
Double (or if I must, triple)
Will determine gearing based on ride feel. No rule here, working for my legs is the only factor
Can I add downtube shifters as a requirement? Don't currently have any, and I loathe brake lever shifters. Won't even say that word
I think you are asking to be thrown out of this committee meeting.
"SECURITY! SECURITY!"

Back