Show us your 700C ATB / MTB / Hybrid

I had a Litespeed Appalachian a few years ago. Came with Steelman fork and stem, 1" CK headset, Syncros seatpost. Might be a 1994 model, not sure though.

p6pb13861875.jpg

I added XTR canti brakes, XTR hubs and Mavic MA40 rims, SKF BB, Sugino Mighty cranks and a modern-ish 10s Sram drivetrain.
Great riding bike, but toe-overlap killed the fun for me.

p6pb14079701.jpg

Nice thread 👍

There had been actually quite a big number of different Hybrid models in the 90ties, almost every bike brand gave it a try.
Just due to certain reasons, Hybrids never got really cool, back in time, it was all about having a sporty bike, and MTBs have been considered much more sporty than the hybrids.
Pretty soon the bike brands realized that hybrids are mostly interesting to elderly people and than we all know what happened.
They called bikes with 700C or 28" wheels Trekking bikes, and those bikes had been equipped with fenders, racks and comfy bars and wide saddles. Also the price point moved downwards and weight has further increased.

Anyway, I must admit, that back in time I would have never ever considered a bike with 28" wheels. Now I have realized it was a failure and those bikes do have a lot of advantages.

Sure, I want to show two of my 700C bikes at home here too:

An Diamond Back Overdrive (mathematically not fully correct, but to me with the Gary Fisher Sphinx one of the first 29er MTBs)
dboverdrive.JPG

I'm using this for commuting and gravel roads with a drop bar, Gevenall brake- shift levers and 1x10 speed setup but with old mech and crank.
20200921_164752.jpg

the other one is a Specialized Crossroads, with riser bar and step stem to provide my wife a bit a more upright riding position.
Specialized Crossroads 5.jpg

Last edited:
Oh heck yeah, they were happening already in the mid aughts when 27.5 was getting pushed. People were already looking to upgrade to the new sizeView attachment 719077
The proportions look nice. Looks like this and a few 700c wheel and tire combos solve the aesthetic and mechanical problems of running road tire/slicks on 26” wheels and how the nominal diameter often becomes too small. The 650b and 700c option looks to keep overall stock diameter.

'It's the perfect, all-round fitness bike that's both nimble and stable, dependable and adventurous, equally at home on dirt and pavement. Hop on, take off, and have a good time—it's that simple.'

Not the advertising blurb for a new gravel bike, but from the 1994 Specialized catalogue, introducing the Crossroads. And, as acquired last weekend: the top-of-the-line model, the Crossroads XP:
CrossroadsXP.jpg

All original, except for the saddle. A nice 'Full butted' frame ('Full' is a bit vague) and double butted fork, under-specced with Alivio. Going to tweak and upgrade, and try it as a flat bar gravel bike.

+ Marin Stinson: Currently being used as a flat bar road bike but it's had up to 40mm tyres at times. Again, nice frame and forks, but originally under-specced with Acera X.
Stinson.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a 90's black PC Nitto Dirt drop (now has a shitty adjustable steerer) , also the brown Brooks Conquest (non PC) is replaced with a black one.
Also looking for a PC Nitto seat post, I own all the original parts when I would sell it. But yeah nah yeah nah nah, not gonna.

Purchased the original bike in 1991, and rode it to bits traded it in for the 2002 blue model and hated that one.
Got my hands on a near perfect specimen in '21 and it will never leave my house (yes I store it in my living room)
Shown it a couple of of times but I do not care, it's a beaut'

bosboom.png

Back