Show us yer FSR's

Re:

First post here. Even though I'm in the US, this forum seems like the best place for these old MTBs. A quick background story here......I had a heart attack just over a month ago and need to get more exercise than what I was doing. I use to race BMX back in the late '70's to early '80's and figured I needed to get back into pedaling.

I just picked up a 1999 Specialized FSR that from what I can tell, is all original (tires excluded). Trying to find out much about these old MTBs online is rather difficult. Not much on Specialized's site nor on RockShox's site. I guess too old to be worth the space.

Here's a pic and I'm sure I'll be looking over various posts for info/insight about these old bikes. Might even post a question or two.

14880227298_d19d34c9ce_b.jpg

Re: Re:

Giggity":1pokaw45 said:
First post here. Even though I'm in the US, this forum seems like the best place for these old MTBs. A quick background story here......I had a heart attack just over a month ago and need to get more exercise than what I was doing. I use to race BMX back in the late '70's to early '80's and figured I needed to get back into pedaling.

I just picked up a 1999 Specialized FSR that from what I can tell, is all original (tires excluded). Trying to find out much about these old MTBs online is rather difficult. Not much on Specialized's site nor on RockShox's site. I guess too old to be worth the space.

Here's a pic and I'm sure I'll be looking over various posts for info/insight about these old bikes. Might even post a question or two.

14880227298_d19d34c9ce_b.jpg

i have some original tyres [tires ;)] that you can have for postage:

these ones -

IMG_0089_zps3b1c4fc5.jpg

think these were spec for the 99 FSR Elite though...

Thanks but, I think I'll pass. I'm more interested in getting decent bike out of it (for it's age) than originality.

Any suggestions for a rear shock? Looking at it, I don't believe it's rebuildable. FWIW....It's a RockShox Deluxe.

Giggity":mz9tnshp said:
Thanks but, I think I'll pass. I'm more interested in getting decent bike out of it (for it's age) than originality.

Any suggestions for a rear shock? Looking at it, I don't believe it's rebuildable. FWIW....It's a RockShox Deluxe.
Lots of people put air shocks on the rear but I went with a Fox coil shock. The eye-to-eye is 165mm so plenty of choices in that size. Betd do bearing kits and custom linkage plates which improves the rear end immeasurably. Up front a 100-130 mm fork with disc mounts will make that bike a capable descender without too much of a weight penalty.

Re: rear shock

I've had 2 Of these FSR's. I'm down to one now as I've just had one stolen. However in terms of rear shocks, I ran a fox float vanilla on my enduro which improved the ride immeasurably over the stock deluxe coil whose damping rebound damping never suited me. My other bike had a fox float rp3 and a betd link which made for a super plush ride set at 5" travel with 130mm of Rockshox revelation up front. Nice bike BTW, I have one in the same colour. I have a Pace carbon xc41 fork on it and it's a lovely ride. Hope yours aids you in your quest for recovery and fitness.

I have discovered a local resource that may pan out for getting a good shock. I have been looking for BETD links on eBay but, nothing as of yet. Same for Fox Float Vanilla. I'm not in a particular rush to get the shock replaced as it will be awhile for recovery to get to the point to where I could utilize a better shock. It's just flat riding in a local park at the moment.

shocks

Yes well of course try your bike as it is for a while. Carrying round the extra weight of the coil shock will be good training for you anyway! I do have a spare Betd link somewhere, an early one with only two settings but I'm still humming and hah-ing about whether to use it on my remaining bike as I'm trying to keep it more xc focused and 5-6" travel is possibly overkill for such activities. If I decide to sell it on I will publicise oh here before throwing it on a popular auction site. If I were you I'd start hunting for suspension bushes 'cos sooner or later you'll need them and certainly here in the UK, they're rarer than rocking horse poo. I'm in the middle of converting mine to use 'proper' bearings too but that is not straightforward and I'm having to machine some bespoke spacers. Are you familiar with 'Pinkbike'? It's a cycle oriented site / forum and has a good buy/sell section if you're ever looking for bits. Also entertaining videos and lots of other odds n sods.

I was never really worried about replacing bushings or converting to bearings. I can machine pretty much whatever I may need in that area. A rear linkage on the other hand is a bit more difficult. My milling abilities are limited in the equipment I have. It's a lathe with a milling attachment for the cross slide.

I have come across "PinkBike" in my searches. I'll give them another look.

Re: shocks

jetmaroo":24ra2464 said:
Yes well of course try your bike as it is for a while. Carrying round the extra weight of the coil shock will be good training for you anyway! I do have a spare Betd link somewhere, an early one with only two settings but I'm still humming and hah-ing about whether to use it on my remaining bike as I'm trying to keep it more xc focused and 5-6" travel is possibly overkill for such activities. If I decide to sell it on I will publicise oh here before throwing it on a popular auction site. If I were you I'd start hunting for suspension bushes 'cos sooner or later you'll need them and certainly here in the UK, they're rarer than rocking horse poo. I'm in the middle of converting mine to use 'proper' bearings too but that is not straightforward and I'm having to machine some bespoke spacers. Are you familiar with 'Pinkbike'? It's a cycle oriented site / forum and has a good buy/sell section if you're ever looking for bits. Also entertaining videos and lots of other odds n sods.

check out my thread below - im doing the same thing, but have come across a bit of an obstacle getting the bushings sorted out.....
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=288979

Back