Show us what you did today, thread

Great morning checking out some new trails just outside Dundee. Been eyeing up a visit for a while, but the top part is moorland and I'd heard it's pretty tough going when it's wet. With the current dry spell I thought a visit was overdue. The gps route I made only showed 8 miles, but I found lots of other tracks using the Trailforks app, so did a bit of exploring as well. A mix of fireroad, singletrack and full on DH trails is what I found. Final big descent down from Lundie Craigs was amazing. Took a few photos, but it was a bit misty. The final photo is taken from the fishing loch you can see in the second. If you zoom in on the third photo, you can just make out the trail. It comes all the way along the top of the ridge then follows the tree line along. Had to walk one section, as I was alone and no-one knew where I was, but with a bit of balls it's all rideable.

Lundie Craigs by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Still more to explore and well worth a Macretro trip sometime.

Re:

That looks good Clubby, and not a million miles away from me either, got to be worth a revisit with some MacRetro members at some point? :)

Another day off, but better weather this time. Headed up to Dunkeld while the trails are running at their best. Got chatting to a guy in the car park and headed to the top of the first enduro stage from the weekend.. First few corners were ok, then got way too steep and loose for my liking. Big respect to Klaus for riding that at race pace on Saturday. Bottom part was ok and led onto a section that ZZ and I had done last year. From there I headed up Birnham hill where the trails aren't quite as steep and rode Pink Floyd for the first time. Really nice trail, more flow that the other trail there, Rake and Ruin, and was able to carry a bit more speed without worrying about the exposure of falling into the quarry that the other trail has.
Legs weren't feeling too bad, but I was out of water and did the sensible thing of heading for an ice cream next to the river.

Top of "Cairn to Cottage/Plan B" looking over to Birnam hill where the "easier" trails are.

Dunkeld by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Rumbling bridge falls.

Top of "Pink Floyd". First photo was taken on the top of the rocky outcrop middle right of the photo.

Sunny Scotland.

Re:

Looks like summer clubby! :D now I've said that it'll pish it down from now till Christmas....

Is that your Santa Cruz??

I went for a run/jog today, it was pretty painful, my legs are so used to pushing pedals round they just didn't know what to do once the Pace increased beyond a fast walk :LOL:

Re:

Nice day out Steven. Is that another different bike? Wasn't it a carbon Isis you had when we went to Ballater ? What happened to it ? I'm just jealous as I don't have a working mountainbike and I'm too skint to buy anything decent :(

Re: Re:

Hawmaw":2jxs2yrv said:
Nice day out Steven. Is that another different bike? Wasn't it a carbon Isis you had when we went to Ballater ? What happened to it ? I'm just jealous as I don't have a working mountainbike and I'm too skint to buy anything decent :(

It's a Santa Cruz 5010 V2 (large, Rob). Had it just over a year now. Your quite correct Hawmaw, it was an Ibis Mojo HD I had at Ballater. Problem was, I never really settled back on it after my Whistler crash. Rode it for the summer after I recovered, but always had the feeling it was going to throw me over the bars again on steeper stuff. Thought it was maybe in my head, so took the next winter off riding it, but when I went back last spring it still never felt the same. Looking at the geometry of the 5010, it has a 2" longer top tube, so even running a shorter stem I've still more reach and also an extra 3" in the wheelbase, mainly in the front half. Much more stable bike than the Mojo and I've a lot more confidence on it, despite having an inch less travel. Basic design of original Mojo goes back to early/mid 2000's and compared to modern geometry it shows.
Suspension on the Mojo was great and it was a lovely bike on flatter trails, but there's no way I'd be riding the trails I did at Dunkeld on it.

Re:

clubby":24xkcrec said:
RobMac":24xkcrec said:
Jim every time I hear you on about your Zaskar I feel like digging mines out, its a '97' from memory.

There's another one of his many bikes none of us have ever seen or heard of :facepalm:

A but like that Santa Cruz then eh? ;)

Back