Show us what you did today, thread

Picked up new bike

30507890173_c89538cf1c_c.jpg

Hadn't planned on replacing Jones so soon, but had been in to see my mate at lbs and he'd just got in the low end version as a demo bike. Had a wee spin round the block and looked at next model up. Went for the mid range one but still good spec for money. Nice alloy frame, Rock Shox Yari 130mm forks, SLX/XT drivetrain with huge 11-46t cassette and high end Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8 tyres. Brakes are Deore which don't have great lifespan by all accounts, and dropper post is a rebranded Trand X, but is at least internal and has shifter like lever. Got mates rates on it, so cost less than I got for the Jones, so money left for upgrades when needed.

Hoping to get out tomorrow for proper ride.

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2sley6t2 said:
Feel the need to put this up again..............from around 6/7 years ago =D

The P7 and Freddie

that's lovely, where is it, i want to go! :D

Loch Etive?

And Clubby, many congratulations on the new addition :) Looks very nice, very fast even standing still, . Sounds like a good buy and must admit, you never hear anything but good reviews for Merida. Their road stuff is really nice.
Lucky man, enjoy!

Jamie

Well, while not on the scale of Clubbys lovely new ride, I did arrive home to find the postman had left a large parcel.
It contained a couple of bits for the Big Dummy, it had the new flightdeck along with associated hardware for fixing it, onto this will go Calebs seat/padding called the Magic Carpet. This has reflective panels at the back and the piping down the side is also reflective. This has straps to fix it to the rails that the flightdeck attaches to, and then we had what they call U Tubes, these run along the side of the bottom rail, attaching at the front and back with hidden bolts.
This is the nice thing about this Xtracycle gear is that its all open source so will fit all machines made to the LT (long tail) standard, be it a Kona, Yuba, Big Dummy etc. So you can DIY a lot of stuff, anything you want really or you can buy certain bits from Xtracycle along with other manufacturers. It was Xtracyle that came up with the standard for their Freeradical that bolts onto the back of any 26'er 700c machine. Surly were one of the first to work with xtracycle to build a LT design of their own. The racks and spacings etc are all compatible until you get to this year when they have now released a new updated freeradical that now uses LT2 designation and Surly have made the recent Dummy only compatible with their own stuff and a limited amount of Xtracycle gear. This is why I wanted an earlier Dummy as it's compatible with more types of gear.

Jamie

DSC_1608 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Pretty crap they changed "standards". Seems the way of the entire bike industry at the moment. Always has I suppose. Early days of mtb we had headset sizes and rear spacing but after that it was steady for a long time.

Bike looks really interesting Jamie. How does it handle with the fat front?

Back