Show us what you did today, thread

Was in Harris last week.

Went through this lot on my virtual retro bike (made of hotaerium and insubstantium). Didn't give me a moment of trouble.

Weather was changing every 10 minutes. Winds all day were a given (over 50km'h at sea level, but much more up high). So it was sunshine, then lashing rain, then pelting sleet, sunshine, followed by horizontal hail up high, right after this pic.

To cap it off, once I was properly soaked, a lightning storm all around me and close, too close. Including one blast that seemed right in front of me. I was almost rocked off my feet by the simultaneous blast of thunder. I wasn't fried although what few hairs I have stood up, so it probably wasn't as bad as it seemed. I really didn't know what to do - talk about feeling vulnerable.

Needless to say, it was great fun.

Looks great, both of you.
OCP your pics are great and when Rob mentioned it, it does look like a watercolour :) Looks like a really nice ride though, something a bit different from the usual pishing rain.
Brian, your pics on here and flickr look brilliant, makes me want to go back and ride around Lewis/Harris, just when its a bit warmer ;)

OCP its just a longtail cargo bike the same as a Yuba, Kona etc and all built around the Xtracycle open source fittings. Mine is an older Big Dummy, in fact its one of the early ones. There's not that many about and very hard to come by secondhand, especially in GI Joe size to suite myself ;)
Hopefully I will get down that way soon and we can all get a ride together.

Jamie

Jamie

Hi mate
The Dummy was put into production in 2007 by Surly, it was based on Xtracycles free radical, which was a rear end you can bolt onto any 26'r to make it a cargo bike. Quite a few people have come out with full frames over the last few years as they are a bit less flexible. Thin on the ground here but big in a few city hubs in the UK, mainly Bristol and London as it can carry most things or at least be setup for it, so can replace a car in the city. Plus, they are great for hauling kids. Very big in the US but with a huge following around the world really.
Do a google search for Surly Big Dummy and then click on the picture search and you will see the many varied uses for them, no two the same it would seem. Due to what you can do to them, both with premade and DIY stuff, they are very adaptable. The beauty of the Big Dummy is that it rides like a bike, and it does, you just have to be careful cutting corners ;)

Jamie

Cool pic Clubby!

My uncle has moved to the USA now, but now my cousin is over in Dubai selling property I am due a visit. After the last week it would be a lovely relief. Brrrrrhhhhhh! Needed to use the auxiliary heater on the van today thanks to it never getting warmed up. Ironic that Merc build their engines so efficient that you need to chuck fuel in to warm the coolant up! Lambos don't have that problem, I hear.

Back