Show us what you did today, thread

zigzag":16a5btlp said:
Do you notice the extra weight out back? I've been Alfine curious for some time...

Only when you have to lift the bike over a fence etc, then the bike feels very rear heavy. When riding, it feels like any other normal bike. Complete wheel wise, I reckon it's about the same as my fat bike rear, but there's none of the sluggish gyro effect that it has. I think that's because all the weight is in the hub and not round the edge.

Sounds pretty good Clubby, Ive been curious myself about an Alfine.
If I manage to get my Big Dummy this year I was thinking of setting it up with an Alfine 8.
Interested to hear your thoughts on it as time goes on.

Jamie

Alfine curious :?

:LOL:

Today, today whats on today.
Same as ever. Still hawin' and havering. Should it be a 650b build ?, or a 29er, or stick to 26" as theres no new frame/forks/wheels involved.
Need to think
eg Got pair of nice new purple floating rotors 180/160, now i find the Pace carbon fork is limited to 160mm so out shell for another 160 @£45
Buy a 26" pace or go the whole expensive hog and , effectively start the build from scratch.Which could mean a 27.5" pace plus probably a mincy crc special frame
Go the 27 1/2 before ordering the purple pro 4's :? more outlay as ive nice 26" rims here and that means another ton to add.Plus the building.

A horribly expensive process.

Jamies choice - 8 or 11 :LOL: Something to be said for that, for sure :LOL:

Re:

Quiet lately due to knee issue. On the assumption that knee will recover before any other bits pack in or fall off I've started a winter project. Frame from Retrobike (thanks Fritz) and ebay triple butted : ) forks. Intent is to use what other bits I have so far as possible. First mock up tonight.

Attachments

• P1280746.JPG
    P1280746.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 354
Re:

I like the idea of the Alfine hub too but I like the idea of the Falbrook NuVinci hub even more. Any gear you like between the upper and lower stops. An almost CVT style transmission for a bicycle.

Re: Re:

jonthefish":blwel4bd said:
Quiet lately due to knee issue. On the assumption that knee will recover before any other bits pack in or fall off I've started a winter project. Frame from Retrobike (thanks Fritz) and ebay triple butted : ) forks. Intent is to use what other bits I have so far as possible. First mock up tonight.

That aluminium? Tubes look quite chunky for steel.
Never owned a Kona, but do find myself searching eBay/gumtree occasionally for them. Missed out on a Lavadome for under £100 last year, it went in minutes.

velomaniac":1sn7k8v4 said:
I like the idea of the Alfine hub too but I like the idea of the Falbrook NuVinci hub even more. Any gear you like between the upper and lower stops. An almost CVT style transmission for a bicycle.

Seems theyre of similar price Velo. @ about £200

I think though with the Falbrook you would struggle to find spares, and im of the opinion that being US it will be a knife edge of fineness and designed for the finest weather the US has to offer.
So i see it needing very regular maintenance. Shimano will either break on the first day or keep going indefinitely.
Plus i see the Halbrook being advertised as being fitter to the potter about to the shops, the boardwalk and maybe just maybe a commuter. But i get the impression more from these pics that the life expectancy and usage is occasional.

Their website says it all.
Took so long to load all their ego's i eventually gave up. :LOL:

clubby":1n44sqbd said:
Never owned a Kona, but do find myself searching eBay/gumtree occasionally for them.

I've had several of the steel "Joe Murray" Konas. 2 x Fire Mountains , a Cinder Cone and a Lavadome. All rigid with P2 fork.
They are fast and lightweight. Really nice to ride natural xc . But prices seem to be on the rise for good examples. My son has a 2000 Kona Roast which is a different kettle of fish. It's a jump bike style , the fore runner to the Shred. It's pretty hefty with large gussets reinforcing the tube joints. They were good bikes but I'm not sure of the current models , they look a bit cheap.

Yes - aluminium. First aluminium I've owned.
I've two Joe Murray designed steel bikes, a 92 Explosif and 97 Voodoo Erzulie. Like 'em both. The Explosif with rigid forks is very light and nippy.

Back