Show us what you did today, thread

Today before a ride in to the hellish westerly wind I fitted some new wheels to the Merckx.
For years I keep saying I will build up some blue Open Pro rims but just never get round to it. Mainly due to having a great set of Open pro's built onto Ultegra hubs that I had Edison cycles in derby build when I first got the Merckx. Eventually after the blue rims getting higher in price I eventually could never find any when I tried the last six months.
So I purchased these from mark (maverick) on here. They are Mavics own Cosmos set, which is basically Open pro rims laced onto Mavics own hubs. I used to bypass these as I wasn't sure about blue hubs but these are really nice in the flesh. They are virtually brand new as Mark bought them for a build that didn't happen and before that Gil was the original owner and he barely used them, if at all.
So well happy, especially as they were very, very reasonable, price wise.
Being the same rim as what was previously on there and both having good hubs there is not any real difference in ride quality, which was already superb. I can also give a high recomendation to Edison cycles as these wheels have done many, many miles over the last 13 years, and a lot of that on roughish Scottish backroads and they are not out at all. To the mm.
Just thought I would share.

Jamie

Nice wheels Jamie, I had a set in grey once upon a time, solid and smooth :)

had a we spin last night on hawmaws back yard, debuted the Neil Pryde

DSCN2501[1] by gmac123, on Flickr

looking forward to getting out again tomorrow :)

Wow! That Neil Pryde looks the business mate.
Report back with a ride impression tomorrow but if it goes half as good as it looks it will be brilliant :)

Jamie

Got me itching to get the Canyon back out again. Got a new chainset ready to fit, manning up and ditching the compact for a 52/36. Should hopefully gain a bit of top end without losing a grinder gear.

Way to go Clubby, I am about to fit my Dura Ace onto the Merckx, same as my Squadra 53/39. I have 2 options, either mix my current Ultegra stuff with my Dura Ace 7700 9 speed or go the full hog with my old 7403 stuff from the parts box, the special parts box, but still, the parts box. With the 7400 Dura Ace I have the option of STI's or downtube shifters. If I stay 9 speed I will put on my DA chainset, brakes and mechs but keep the Ultegra STI's.

Jamie
Heres my 8 speed DA stuff

That's a gey fancy lookin' bike Graham. Could've bought a Merckx for that! :LOL:

And this one is for Jamie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2637_waoI[/youtube]

Wow lovely DA, probably my fav shimano group set.

Also running 53 36, though first impressions of the gearing are

11 spd has a far more proportional range, running 11 - 28
The 36 didn't make too much difference on the steep stuff, it's still all about the legs

Jamie is that ultegra 6400 sti's? If so, have you ever serviced or rebuilt them?

fftc true, actually saw one the other day, correct size in Panasonic flavour.... But find myself searching for a look frame right now :facepalm:

Hi Graham, no my Ultegra is 6500, 9 speed. Thats what was current when I bought my frame back in 2001. It wasn't retro when I bought it :)

Jamie

Back