Show us what you did today, thread

epicyclo":fzs994hm said:
Made a disk brake shim.

Nice! Nothing quite like turning an old household item into something useful with an hour or two's fettling in the garage. This is why I keep a handy stock of PC case sides - about the only part of a superseded computer that's actually useful for anything! What were the cuts made with? I'm guessing a holesaw was involved for the inner one but the outer looks a bit big for that...

ajm":1dk8hloy said:
epicyclo":1dk8hloy said:
...What were the cuts made with? I'm guessing a holesaw was involved for the inner one but the outer looks a bit big for that...

Correct, holesaw for the middle, The outer was a series of methods, tried my Dremmel but used up the cutting disc in no time, then tried scoring with a very sharp knife, followed by some attention from a chisel. Rounding off was done with a file. The small holes were lightly countersunk to get rid of swarf.

Kitchens are full of useful resources... :)

epicyclo":2rt94e47 said:
Correct, holesaw for the middle, The outer was a series of methods, tried my Dremmel but used up the cutting disc in no time, then tried scoring with a very sharp knife, followed by some attention from a chisel.

Unfortunately they also often have a guard on duty :) I've found an air cutoff tool (this sort of thing; http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Air+Cut+Off+Tool/p81639 ) to be great for finer work like this... it's vastly more controllable than a normal 4" angle grinder and the cutting discs take a minimal kerf and last very well. Not much use without a compressor of course!

epicyclo":30en5nm7 said:
ajm":30en5nm7 said:
epicyclo":30en5nm7 said:
...What were the cuts made with? I'm guessing a holesaw was involved for the inner one but the outer looks a bit big for that...

Correct, holesaw for the middle, The outer was a series of methods, tried my Dremmel but used up the cutting disc in no time, then tried scoring with a very sharp knife, followed by some attention from a chisel. Rounding off was done with a file. The small holes were lightly countersunk to get rid of swarf.

See on Xmas Eve - you're for it matey innit!!

Ignore PM :D
:xmas-big-grin:

Back