Show us what you did today, thread

You can take the bike aff'a big eck but ye cannae take the big eck oot the bike :LOL:

So that's why it's so bloody heavy then?

No way it was ever going to be a subtle build given the frame colours :D

Captain America :shock:
CaptainAmerica1.jpg

you are a man of taste and style and not of your time eck

well thats my interpretation

zigzag":y4cre404 said:
Wheeled the big.eck Trek 100,000,000 out into the sunlight after flinging some parts at it this week...

dsc6062nef.jpg

Had a bit of fun with the headset cups, which seemed a tad slack in the tube... we'll see how the Araldite holds.

Wasn't able to use the original lovely red S500 rims, couldn't untaco the front, so went with a set of cheap WH-R550 wheels off ebay instead. Not as light as they look though (825g F / 1065g R).

Cheap Massi carbon fork off ebay too (364g versus the ridiculous 964g steel Trek original). I'll be hiding the 'M' and the 'i' on the forks too...

Planet X Ti skewers (£14.99 at the mo, and only 44g in total versus 124g for the Shimano originals). Also picked up one of their 9g seatclamps for £4, probably since it was 31.6 instead of 31.8 - seems to fit OK, we'll see how it lasts.

I picked up the Sante brakes and cranks before Christmas, just because they were white and reasonably cheap. Peeled the knackered stickers off an old red MTB Kore stem, and using a cheapy red ano 27.2 seatpost that I bought by mistake last year.

Looking like final weight with pedals will be 20-20.5 lbs. Which is not bad, considering the frame & BB weighs 2264g on its own. Plenty of room for further weight weenieing, but this is a budget build, so not likely to happen anytime soon.

Anyway, nearly there, a couple of more things to buy and it'll be done and ready for some springtime miles.

aw thats looking good zz :cool: needs mare red tho ;)

Cheers Alex, you've no idea how long I hummed and hawed over red sidewalls. Red bottlecages should help though :D

Back