Should I go fixed?

not sure I agree with the argument that "you can't say you don't like something unless you have tried it ":?

I have the ability to imagine the limitations of offroad on a fixie without having to try it- I have avoided a lot of unpleasant/dangerous stuff in my life just by engaging my imagination and then saying erm... no thanks matey ;)

Good luck to you if you do love it, but were do we stop regressing? why not mt bike with solid rubber tires that will be cooooool :roll:

I rode fixed off road for a couple of years and you are a bit slower than mates on the downs but will spank them on the ups. With a bit of practice you can bunny hop too, albeit not that high. The fakengers have ruined the oddball exclusivity a bit though. Probably worth getting a proper fix hub with the thread for a lock ring. Trying to leg brake down a hill with an unscrewing sprocket is disconcerting if you have no back brake.

clockworkgazz":27ypbpfh said:
not sure I agree with the argument that "you can't say you don't like something unless you have tried it ":?

It's riding a bike so how can it fail to be fun?

As for more dangerous... why should it be any more dangerous than riding any other bike at any other time? Surely less dangerous because your speed on any downhills is limited buy how fast you can spin your legs... or how you cantrol the descent with your leg muscles.

When I ride my fixie I set myself the challange of not using the brakes, thats not to say I do not use them but the additional challenge is there and I try to use them as little as possible. Brilliant fun and puts a whole new spin on old trails and normaly boring bits of fireroad.

I still say give it a whirl.

As for being trendy... if poncing about in a forest dressed in lycra is considered trendy again then so be it. I'm there for fun not fashion.

I agree with the idea that riding a fixed off road is probably going to end in tears at some point but if that's what floats your boat then good luck!

Basically I want low maintainence and to put off any casual borrowing of my new bike, not to make any kind of "look at me I'm sooooo singletrack world!" type statement ;)

messiah":3uqzzic1 said:
clockworkgazz":3uqzzic1 said:

quote]

I don't do unicycles either- that doesn't look fun at all.

clockworkgazz":11eei4n9 said:
messiah":11eei4n9 said:
clockworkgazz":11eei4n9 said:

quote]

Oh... i get to be pedantic... A Unicycle is not a Bike... since Bike is an amercanised abreviation of Bicycle - which is a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddlelike seat.

Nah!

messiah":3i54rtu5 said:
clockworkgazz":3i54rtu5 said:
messiah":3i54rtu5 said:
clockworkgazz":3i54rtu5 said:

quote]

Oh... i get to be pedantic... A Unicycle is not a Bike... since Bike is an amercanised abreviation of Bicycle - which is a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddlelike seat.

Nah!

:LOL: :LOL:

Ok you win this one- I'll get you next time....... whohaaahaaa :twisted:

You either want to try this stuff or not, as for it being dangerous or not possible or hard work. I've seen some stuff on you tube this week that IMO is all 3 doesn't stop me wanting a go at a fraction of that fun.

Infact I can think of loads of stuff I do people think is rubbish, difficult and pointless, I wonder myself when I'm pushing Saab 9000's and Porker 928's in a field or filming a painful rock band. :D

Back