Should I go fixed?

Oh and I forgot to mention the other reason for going fixed is as an extra anti-borrowing device! No gears and no obvious brakes means if someone needs a bike for a shop run they prob wont choose mine... ;)

they wouldn't spend the time to notice that I wouldn't have thought - but they'd get a nasty shock at the first corner after their getaway!! :LOL:

I've only ever ridden fixed on the track and in my opinion that's where it belongs

Agreed....I've tried it on the road and found it somewhat disconcerting :?

you could try it. :) tempted with either my now SS'd modern or that old skool dropouted 80's Saracen frame at some point. :) Not saying I'll like it though

Londonfixieshop do disk brake mount sprockets so easy to do if you have a disk wheel :D :p and then if ya get bored flip the wheel back round, can you get full chain tension on that frame?

After my first and only SS build I thought the logical progression was fixed (for a commuter) but perhaps fate intervened when I sold it before I had chance to try it.

There is no way on gods green earth I would try fixed off road. Ever!

Ouch!

ytzz7q.jpg

You know not of the fun of which you speak.

Offroad fixie is very possible and very fun. I run my Explosif with a flip/flop on the rear hub and have never changed when out on a ride. If I head out fixed I stay fixed even if that means daft singletrack...

Pedal strikes are not that common and a little looking ahead goes a long way... dropoffs and small jumps are scary but where I ride there is usually a way round such bits.

I reccomend trying it before saying you won't like it.

I've not tried it a night... yet :twisted:

For the riding you are describing fixed is good

I have several road fixies, and an MTB fixie for commuting.

It's a shame the posers and fakeingers seem to be taking over tho :-(

Andy

Russell":21mk5gze said:
There is absolutley no reason whatsoever for anyone, ever, to ride a fixed bike off road... FACT.

Totally agree but it definately fits in with the ethic these days of trying to make riding a bike more difficult to make it more interesting i.e taking brakes off

Back