Should I go fixed?

jam1e

Dirt Disciple
So I got my Kona to work and reassembled it but I had problems fitting the rear brake - so I've just taken it off. Now it looks weird with just the front lever and I'm thinking of taking it off entirely and going fixed.

Should I do it?

Plus - how fast and direct do p2 forks steer?! I'd forgotten what they were like...

There is absolutley no reason whatsoever for anyone, ever, to ride a fixed bike off road... FACT.

i'd love to TRY a fixed wheel off road but i dont think i have the balls! i bet its pretty scary!

lewis1641":10128yre said:
i'd love to TRY a fixed wheel off road but i dont think i have the balls! i bet its pretty scary!

If by 'scary' you mean grounding your pedals on every corner, not being able to get any flow on bumpy sections, no ability to hop over trail obstacles and pis**ng your mates off because they have to wait for you at every corner, then yeah, its scary as hell :)

Yes,if you are a technically gifted rider with plums like coconuts!! :shock:

Al.

If you don't have plums like coconuts, you will have after your first ride 'cos they'll be swollen up from the beating they'll take when you hit the top tube on the first bit of rough stuff :)

To be fair it's not going off road, it's going from my room, to work (1km), the shop (250m) or the gym (200m) so I doubt I'll be grinding the pedals on either of those little jollies!

However my next kona rebuild will be going off road as a lightweight rigid fireroad eating machine!

I've only ever ridden fixed on the track and in my opinion that's where it belongs :?

Back