Should I get a bell?

I have a lovely old Lucas bell on one of my bikes . I has a great tone and makes folk smile .
A 4 pawl Hope is also great .Like a swarm of bees when free wheeling .

they arent all idiots. Some are nice and move and say good morning/afternoon hello etc
Some say thanks for ringing the bell
Others don't even move when you are actually heading towards them

Last edited:
It's up to $50 though! 😨
(I'm not buying a bell that looks like a bell okay)

How do you justify that kind of outlay?
Especially since it benefits other people.
These in person to me don't sound as good as they look. The way the metal is isolated from the mounting points and handlebar mount tends to quickly dampen the resonance of the metal. They are quite expensive too. I too thought maybe yeah one of these, but after playing with them in store I couldn't justify the price for the tone. Surely doesn't sound like a 40 euro bell.

I have resorted to dangling one or two sleigh bells which tends to give people plenty of forewarning then if needed I use one of these small, old Crane bells, which sound amazing for what it is plus resonates for quite a long time and very loud depending on how far back you pull the strike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
In my experience most people here react more positiv to a bell than to politely shouting.
I guess its because shouting may sound more threatening when they don't expect someone comming.
With a bell most people know instantly that its just a bike and no one is yelling at them.

Ususally I ring the bell way ahead, they look back, I smile and give a little wave, they smile back and move to the side.
Then a quick "Thank you" while passing and everyone is happy ;)
My experience is the polar opposite - a polite "excuse me" (never shouted, why would we need or want to shout at anyone?), is a lot less likely to generate a negative response than a ping, although on occasion it does trigger the odd moaner as well.

I also give a thanks and cheery wave to anyone generous enough to move aside a little to let me pass.

As aforementioned by my goodself, riders should do what suits them best personally and accept that you can't please all the people all the time.

My experience is the polar opposite - a polite "excuse me" (never shouted, why would we need or want to shout at anyone?), is a lot less likely to generate a negative response than a ping, although on occasion it does trigger the odd moaner as well.

I also give a thanks and cheery wave to anyone generous enough to move aside a little to let me pass.

As aforementioned by my goodself, riders should do what suits them best personally and accept that you can't please all the people all the time.
All of the above, We always wave and say thanks.

Yes get a bell. We have cateye bells and they work well and are loud enough but you always get the ones that pretend not to hear to be awkward, I'm talking about where there's two of them so they can't both be deaf.
Did ask a couple once if they were deaf and he said up yours. I just laughed and carried on
My wife and youngest daughter are both hearing aid wearers, so you will conceivably come across scenarios where both persons are hard of hearing.

Back