Shipping from US

Miles,

I emailed the guy to ask if I could inspect the frame for you prior to bidding as I'm about 1 hour away...he does not want me to.

Here is the rest of his reply...

humm not sure about that.. i can send you a few more pics if you would like i got this frame like 5 years ago on a trade and it`s been sitting in the garage the whole time. there are a few chips in the paint and the ding i`v looked at the(crack) a few times now i looked inside the tube and it looks like its cracked on 1 side .the other side looks OK..where its at i dont think it would hurt anything.heres a pic of the crack

If Aluminum has started cracking, it will continue with use. I'd suggest passing on this one.

cheers,

rody

Hi Rody,

That is so kind of you - I'm quite literally stunned! To offer to give up your time is incredibly generous and very much appreciated. I think you're all right - not worth taking the risk on this one - I'll leave well alone.

There is another I've got my eye on - looks great condition, all original components...have to wait and see - I shall let you all know what happens!

Thanks to all again.

Miles

Thread resurrection warning....

Has anybody in the US shipped a used frame to the UK and had to give a customs code or commodity code to the carrier? If so can you tell me what that code is?

Cheers: Chris.

code

Uncle Monty":2fzqpii9 said:

If this code no. is attached to the parcel in the US does it mean No tax on the UK side? Im sick to the back teeth of getting charged ridiculous amounts of money for some quite tatty old MTB parts!!!! Ive just been hit with a bill of £40 for a pair of proper knackered forks.

I was told that are FRIENDS at the import office do a little bit of online research, find a reasonably high figure and stick it on the parcel! Surely theres a way of avoiding having to pay out to these bloodsucking vampires :idea:

I remember sending a set of Suspenders forks and a Pro-stop front wheel from the US to Jez-4-bikes-max in the UK a few years back. I put 'engineering sample - flywheel, damper and arresting mechanism' on the label. No customs charge.

Likewise when I had my Ibis BowTi sent from the US to me in the UK I had them put 'warranty repair return' along with a nominal cost of a repair. I was only charged VAT on the cost of that nominal repair - £20 rather than the several hundred it could have been for the frame.

I just got a price for a frame and fork with bb and some bits to be sent from the u.s. to the uk

The point about the postal service to postal service is about right.

The frame is a trek 8900 so main tubes are carbon and ali the have quoted me around $75. but that price does not include any cost for packaging

this is without signed for, insurance or any other services and it will be by 1st class so 10-14 days delivery, I'll mark it as parts and a gift with a lowish value if it ends up going to the uk

Back