Shimano XT Shifter Advice Please.

stephan

Retro Guru
Can anyone tell me with experience how they find Shimano XT M760 Shifters 9 speed x3 in comparison to Shimano M770 9 speed ones? (Shifter Pods)

Thanks, Stephan.

I've not run m760, but I've got M739, m750 and m770.

For me m739/740 wins all day long. I can't stand the m750.

M770 'feels' newer, slicker with a more defined click to the shifting. But then I suppose it is newer

I've not run m760, but I've got M739, m750 and m770.

For me m739/740 wins all day long. I can't stand the m750.

M770 'feels' newer, slicker with a more defined click to the shifting. But then I suppose it is newer
Thank's so much for the comment, looks like the M770 may be a good choice for me - 9 Speed. :)

I've preferred the feel of M660 SLX to M760 XT myself - slightly more definite feel to the shifting (clunkier rather than lighter). Haven't tried the others though.

Aren't the m760 the integrated brake/shifter lever style ones? I've used the xtr versions and they were ok bot won't win a beauty contest.

I think the m750 are practically the same as the m952 in all but colour. Personally I rate the xtr versions, best retro shifters imo. I prefer them to the m739/40s.

If memory serves, once you get to the 770 range, they are dual push shifters, meaning you can both pull and push on one of the levers to get a shift. I thought this would be a gimmick, but found it actually useful. I've got a bike wearing that gear, another the xtr m970, many with m952, nothing else will do for my 9sp builds now, but would happily use m750, and the LX of that era too (550?) and SLX, as it's all quite similar really.

Maybe I'm getting my models mixed up - the ones I used were separate shifter pods (not brifters) and were dual release - agreed I like/prefer this feature.

Latest posts

Back