Shimano 600EX shifting problem

davester1965

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

In need of some technical help. I've converted one of my 531 Road bikes to Campy Ergo Shifters (10 spd), the rest of the drivetrain is Shimano 600EX, Rear Derailleur is RD6207, according to the Shimergo CTC page a standard Shimano 8 speed cassette should work, but it doesn't shift anywhere near, I'm using stripped down 600/Ultegra Uniglide cassettes, so i've messed around with different spacer combinations, but i can't hit the sweet spot.

Is the RD6207 the same as the early DuraAce and have a larger shift ratio?
or does anyone else run a similar set up and have solved this problem before?

Hope you can help guys....this is driving me bonkers!! LOL

The 6207 rear mech is not index compatible unfortunately - it's friction shift only. The 6208 was the first Shimano 600 rear mech that worked with indexing.

Bats":au64i5qa said:
Also campag use a different cable pull ratio.
Yes but a 10 speed Campag shifter will pull the right amount of cable with a Shimano indexed rear mech to a shift a shimano 8 speed setup correctly.

The CTC Shimergo page gives more information about the various combinations that work together.

Think i may have stumbled across the solution, went back to the shimergo tables last night and went through a few 'what if's'.....and came up with what if the RD6207 does have a shift ratio of 1.9 like the old DA....so rebuilt the cassette using 6 speed spacers (3.6mm, giving a sprocket pitch of 5.3mm) and it seems to shift ok now.....needs a little fine tuning so will take it out for a decent ride later, but fingers crossed.

Will keep my eyes peeled for a NOS RD6208 though as i would like to take the bike up to an 8 speed.

Back