Seatpost dilemma

I always apply a liberal coating of Copper Ease anti-seize compound to the inside of the frame, and the post itself, when fitting a seatpost to all my bikes.

Every couple of months (or in winter, each month) out comes the post, it gets cleaned and Copper Ease re-applied, and then refitted.

Never had one stick (fingers crossed!) and any residue that weeps out is easily removed with a cloth. I use the Halfords own-brand Copper Ease, it's really cheap and does the job (and smells lovely, too!)

i use vaseline on my seat post.

I've also greased my wheel hubs with it as I didn't have the proper stuff.

(probably not a good idea on wheel hubs).

Couple of points:

WD40 and Plusgas are different.
GT40 is a car.
Diesel can be used instead of Plusgas, and it's cheaper!

Here is a recipe for the ultimate in seat tube protection. I have used it for over 20 years and have never had a seatpost issue. All my seat tubes are as new. Mix plenty up and it will last you years.

Mixture
3 parts WD40 or similar
1 part Waxoyl
1 part copperslip

Mix well. Add a little more WD40 to get a nice runny consistancy. Season to taste with a little salt a...... Sorry wrong topic.

Put this in an old squirty bottle. Spray generously into seat tube. Repeat once a month in winter, every 3 or 4 months in summer. Serve with a nice bottle of Barolo and crusty br..... Sorry, off again.

Job done. :roll:

Back