Seatpost dilemma

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Now there's been a lot of posts/sound advice on removing stuck seatposts but I seem to have an unusual dilemma (at least for me).

I came to ride the IF SS Deluxe post MM and noticed that the saddle wasn't straight, not too much a surprise as I had a decent off that twisted the stem and lead to a handlebar/top tube interface incident. No problem, I'll straighten that. But it wouldn't budge (even with the persuasion of a hammer and wood drift, after the saddle and clamp was removed).

Now this is my 'go to' bike and has seen a lot of wet use over the winter but no seatpost removal and regreasing (I see on a blog from Rody that you should do this everytime you lube the chain - does anyone do this?). That said, can I really have not noticed that it was so far off centre for long enough to get it stuck? Somehow, I can't imagine this as I frequently look down at the nose of the saddle on steady climbs (best not say why) and I'm sure that I'd have noticed if it was off centre that much and that long that it's got stuck

Currently have set some fizzy oil to work but wondering what approach to take - do need to straighten the saddle, can and have ridden as is, don't really want to resort to some of the (typically) destructive methods of seatpost removal.

Suggestions very welcome.

Attachments

• IF Seatpost.JPG
    IF Seatpost.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 907
Try this idea.

1) Remove the saddle from the post

2) Clamp a long flat bar in the seat clamp, makeing sure it's really tight.

3) Twist and rotate from side to side.

Hopefully that should free it :)

Good tip and had a go at various methods including removing saddle and clamp, placing a lump of wood and giving it a good whack with a hammer (to try to get the post to move down) without any luck.

I was starting to despair and then today SUCCESS! Well, mostly....

After loosening off the collar yesterday and gently prising apart the 'ears' at the top of the seattube I applied some spray oil ("with penetrative fizzing action" - yeah, right. Actually, it did fizz quite well) and left it overnight. I tried twisting the post this morning with no luck so went for a ride, collar still loose. Dismounting at the top of some wooden steps I gave the nose of the saddle a sharp backhand blow and suddenly it was almost straight! Further blows and attempts at twisting did nothing but from at least an inch out of straight it's now barely perceptible. Certainly fits in with initial thoughts that it was moved by the crash back in June.

So, although still stuck pretty solidly it's at least straightish and there is hope. Not sure whether the percussive blow, the fizzy oil or 15 stone of biffer did the job but likely a bit of each.

I guess the moral(s) of the story are a) regularly grease your post; b) try non destructive methods first as they may just work!

I would guess that the post galled/scored when it twisted in the crash, and is seized. Now that you've loosened it, don't stop there. Keep at it with the penetrating oil (there's a few that work better than others like Mouse Milk, AeroKroil) and get the post completely out. Get everything cleaned and deburred. I'd even run a ball hone down the seat tube before re-assembly.

"grease your post regularily" :LOL: fnar..
Purchase a can of Plusgas from B&Q(other DIY vendors are available).
Squirt a small amount of it round the rim of the seattube/seatpost interface, leave and repeat for a couple of hours.
Should do the trick.
If your post is a kalloy type item, ie both clamp plates are removeable, remove both clamp plates :D and use a large adjustable spanner on the rectangular section at the top of the post.
Work it fairly forcefully clockwise and counter closkwise, should also do the trick.
If none of these work LGF is your as he has da skills ;)

Yep, agree that I mustn't quit at this point but pleased that it's moved at all!

I tried to get PlusGas at several stores in Hereford yesterday with no luck (including B&Q and Halfords) so will try the fizzy spray oil again.

ededwards":892rrrgl said:
Yep, agree that I mustn't quit at this point but pleased that it's moved at all!

I tried to get PlusGas at several stores in Hereford yesterday with no luck (including B&Q and Halfords) so will try the fizzy spray oil again.

Isn't plus gas the old name for WD40 ? Thats what I was lead to believe.
Try Phillip Morris's If they don't sell it , it doesn't exist :D

try some coca-cola
a plasticine well around the post and leave it over night
that plumbers freeze stuff is pretty effective too on alloy posts/steel frames

PlusGas is much more effective than GT40, but neither will have much effect unless they can reach as far down as the point where the post is seized.

Having said that, if you have been able to twist it today, it can't be seized all that badly. If you can't shift it, why not ask somebody stronger than you to help you out?

I'm surprised to see mention of grease. That may be your problem. Grease doesn't have many uses on a bike, aside from hubs, suspension etc. You're using it there to perform an anti-seize function, but grease is a feeble anti-seize. It can form a physical barrier between the post and the frame, but then again sometimes not as you have found, and it has no anti-seize properties as such. The copper granules in copperslip prevent the galling/seizing chemical reaction from taking place, hence it's called anti-seize. I suggest using copperslip in preference to grease in all applications where the two parts are not moving against each other.

I always grease my seatpost every month or so. Never had one stuck on me. I dont worry on the specifics, just know it works.

Latest posts

Back