Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

Mark's big problem is going to be getting enough people for the first one, so we're going to be a right motley crew on a motley collection of bikes. The Strathpeffer Victorian week is being run at the same time so we won't look too weird in period costume - well not until we hit Ullapool. :)

I would imagine if it gets big, then one option will be to group the riders according to their period and do staggered starts just like the big sportives - which means no need to exclude anyone.

Anyhow you'll all be so impressed by the performance of proper gentlemen's bikes, you'll be dumping all that modern '80s stuff and scouring eBay for 3 speed rod brake roadsters and looking for unlined Harris Tweed breeches. Might be an idea to start now... :)

BTW Jamie, you may have missed this - it's not a no helmet rule.
"Helmets, Its up to you. I did suggest on the website that if you pose for photos, take them off."

I'm planning taking my roadster through part of the intended course in the next few weeks to see how well it handles it - if anyone fancies coming along you're welcome so long as you don't mind my somewhat less than blistering pace.

Hi Brian
My apologies to all as I must have misread that on the helmets.
They were just a few thoughts on how it is all meant to gel together and what the actual main theme is about.
Not sure on the rod braking but I will have something suitably old sorted.
I'm just putting a few things out there so I can sort out what main ethos is so I can slot it into the heirachy of things to do.
Certainly not wanting to stir anything just trying to make sure I'm on the same wavelength beforehand, as I have always said it sounds like a great ride and intend to come along.
Depending on day Brian I would be up for this recce ride.
If not a weekend still let me know and I'll see what the boss says.

Jamie

To be honest I'm going off this mish mash idea. Its much like the upcoming Independence Referendum, there is no clear direction. If the event is attached to a victorian themed weekend then mtb's are out as is dressing like a 17th/18th century Jacobite. People enthusiastic about this also seem, not be scots and keen on dressing up in a pastiche of my national costume which seems more of a piss take than a serious celebration of Scotland.
Nail your colours to the wall now even if the first run is a small affair. Bikes should be lugged steel and look within a bowshot of Victorian/Edwardian and thus Tweed and Tartan will not look ridiculous.
Thats my opinion as a lowland Scot who is proud to be Scottish but not enamoured of the shortbread tin version of 'Bonny Scotland, Och Aye the Noo'. :facepalm:
You the organiser has the final say of course but as a self confessed incomer, remember where you are ;)

I would love it if every rider was on an Edwardian or earlier steel bike. Dressed In appropriate clothing for the era. I rode the Little Bravo route yesterday on a c1912 single speed "scorcher" dressed in moleskin trousers, cotton shirt and a tweed shooting jacket with a tweed cap. The bike has a sprung saddle, semi drop bars, 28" wheels with old John Bull tyres. It has a single front brake which pulls up from the centre of the bars. Bloody terrifying on descents. My Friend Mel was on a 1952 ladies A.S.Gillott with a Sturmey 3speed hub. The bike is all period correct with GB brakes, 27" wheels with Michelin world tour tyres and mudguards. It was wet and muddy in places. Mel set out in Lycra tights and a fleece but to her eternal credit changed into a tweed skirt, jacket and head scarf at a suitable spot for photos. I guess we looked like the Gamekeeper and the Lady of the House off for a bit of Chatterley. We made the effort and looked the part.
We reversed the route as no lunch is on offer in Garve of a November Sunday. We parked the car there and rode to the Strath for lunch at the Red Poppy. I reckon we averaged 10 miles an hour on the way back. We didn't want to run out of daylight. There were 2 gates to open and a ford to cross.

There is a clear direction.

We're going to have a ride for old bikes across some stunning country in the Highlands, with good food and a party. It's up to us what we make of it. Our starting point will be Strathpeffer during its Victorian festival.

There's no compulsion to wear anything, you can dress anyway you like, but it will add to the event if we dress according to our bike's age - even if it's just for photos.

The tartan emphasises that this is a Scottish event not L'Eroica - that's just the inspiration for the ride, and the guidelines are adjusted to suit our circumstances.

As a Highlander I'm comfortable wearing my tartan, as a Lowlander you may not be, so don't. This is the Highlands up here, not the hideous Royal Mile mercantile version.

Tweed has an equally Scottish association, and was the working man's outdoor fabric here until recent times, so it's perfectly valid, and also considering the name of the fabric originated in the Lowlands, suitable to Lowlanders who don't want to look like Highlanders. :)

I would imagine the reason Mark has not limited the ride to steel and lugged bikes is because that would preclude some good veteran and vintage bikes, and he's made it as inclusive as possible.

This is the first event. I don't expect purity or perfection.

Sorry, I just think allowing mtb's is a mistake even if made of lugged steel. MTB's from the 80's go hand in hand with lycra and helmets in dayglo which for them is period correct which the organiser does not want.
Drop the cutoff date back ten years to 1977. The predominant 'in' bike of the masses then was the 10 speed racer, usually lugged steel and thanks to the Bay City Rollers, tartan was in too.
Lugged 10 speeds also had not evolved hugely from older bikes that are in keeping with the ethos and so would look more in place.
Scotland swarms with mtb events every year, celebrate the pre mtb era. Make this event just a wee bit niche, no mtb's. This is coming from someone with in excess of 10 mtb's.
Back then I had a Raleigh roadster, rode it everywhere, on and off road, never thought it unsuitable.

I like what you say. I think '77 and the point about the Rollers is valid too and well observed. I had my environmental hat on and was trying to include some unloved bicycles such as early mtbs and gas pipe ''lightweights''.
So. I'll throw it open here. Does anyone object to a proposed new cut-off date of 1977 and NO MTB's? Let us know what you think.

Ok, I'll change the cut-off to 1977. I'll amend the website. Bay City Rollers it is. Where were they from? Which city with the bay?

Latest posts

Back