SCHWINN MOAB BUILD

In the event you haven't used it already, you can get a bit of information about the Moab line from BikePedia.com, ==>http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bikes.aspx?Year=1997&Brand=Schwinn

The I agree that this is probably a 97, just from the paint scheme alone. There are a couple of things to confirm same. It looks to be the original paint and decals. If so, there is a decal on the seat tube that will contain the number 1, 2, or 3 on it. The Schwinn head badge will have a 4 digit number engraved on it, typically in the lower left quadrant of the Schwinn star. Lastly on the underside of the bottom bracket shell is the frame's serial number. Decoded those will identify the year of manufacture, build configuration, frame type, and prodution run sequence number of that lot run.

The one thing that isn't present (or at least not evident in the pics) is the Taiwan sticker on the headtube just above the lower headset bearing cup.

What drivetrain are you going to fit it out with?
Bottom bracket and spindle length?
Middleburn chainset.
Cassette?
Front derailleur?
Rear Derailleur?
Chain?

Fork-wise, is that fork got 80 or 100 mm of travel? If it is 100 mm of travel it'll be interesting whether the bike seens a bit "twitchy" in the steering when its all built.

Anyway, the Schwinn Homegrown line was the next most expensive in their lineup, the next model line above the Moab. The Moab and the Homegrown, although they are not the same frame, they do share the same frame geometry. The Homegrown is the stuff of legends and has developed almost a cult following. The Moab less so.

Both are decent frames. One costs a bit more.

Hi thanks for the info, I will check out all the codes at the weekend.
A quick rundown of what is going on her:

Fsa bottom bracket
Race face cranks with middle burn chain rings
Manitou sx carbon forks set up at around 80mm travel at the min
SRAM rear cassette
SRAM chain
Xtr rear mech
Xt front mech (until I can source xtr one)
Xtr str shifters and levers
Hope headset
Hope skewers
Hope seat clamp
Halo excite rims with hope pro 2 evo red hubs waiting to be built
Xtr v brakes
Easton stem
Race face bars

Think that's about everything

Back