Santa Cruz Heckler build assistance.

skiddaw

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys, I am looking for any help/info on chainset/bottom bracket config: for a 1999 Santa Cruz build I am putting together.
I thought I would try out a Retro look new chainset with the outboard bearings into the frame but the chainline was awful!! I then tried a 110mm axle length square taper BB with a Sugino Mighty 900 X chainset but this was also no good. It looked as though a length of 103mm might do with possibly a XT set on the end?
Anyone know what would be a good setup as I think Isis only go down to 108mm and would a Raceface chainset or any other fit with this? Help very much appreciated.

I don't quite understand what is your issue, I have a 1998 heckler and have had many different cranksets in it, and all worked just fine. It is about matching the cransk with the correct BB axle. So I'd say if your chainline is wrong use a different BB axle length to get it right.

FWIW I have had Shimano LX and XT 8v 1997 period models plus later LX 9v on sqaure taper BB, Race Face Turbine and FSA on ISIS, and Hone and Deus on Hollow Tech outboard bearings all worked. Currently I have a set of period White Industries fitted on a square taper again.

You are not running a BB mounted front mech or chain device are you?

Enjoy!!

I'm using HTII in mine with the recommended spacer configuration and it's fine. It's 50mm chainline rather than 47.5 as per the old days, but that's OK. It's had loads of cranks in it but I can't remember what BBs I used. Which isn't very handy :)

Have you measured the chainline or does it just look wonky?

Right Guys, I fitted a Truvative Stylo with the outboard BB (gigapipe) supplied, shimmed up as per reccs:, fitted the chain and found when in the big ring on the chainset, even with it running at midpoint on the rear sprockets the chain angle was too big and the whole drivetrain was very noisy due to this angle, and as far as running near the lower gear on the rear sprockets a definite no no! I have then removed my Sugino crank and 110mm BB from my 98my Mtrax that I commute on everyday, runs great and found the chainline to be still way off. Hmm I think I shall try 2 shims on the non drive side of the Gigapipe see if thats any better, I must admit I didn't think there should have been any probs: The chainline seems to measure up at approx 50mm. Ill post my result after trying 2 shims. Cheers for the help.

I had M900 XTR on mine for years with no problems.
I used a random Shimano BB from my spares bin, but no idea what length, sorry.

I'm sure I also fitted a Suntour XC Pro chainset with another random BB. Again, no problems.

Very fond memories of that Heckler. A little hooligan machine.

Latest posts

Back