Same outer cable for gear and brakes

You can easily buy 5mm gear cable

Never used brake cable for gears but I know plenty who have with no problems that said 30+ years on and were still using both so unless we’ve been brainwashed there must be a good reason against adopting it

Someone will flame us both for being heretics - or dumb arses

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

RMS_bike_463530067.jpg

The coiled stuff above (normally sold as brake cable) is OK for brakes or gears BUT not ideal for use with indexed gear systems as it can compress in use. It's totally fine with non-indexed gearing and in practice it usually works OK with SIS etc too.

cgfi-outer-draw.jpg

Proper gear cable usually looks like the stuff in the second picture above. It doesn't compress in the same way as the coiled stuff, so it's more reliable with indexed gear systems, but it's unsafe for use with brakes as it can burst open under a heavy pull, so I'm told anyway.

I agree with Bluetomgold. While you can get away with using brake outlets for gears (and I have when desperate!), you get better shifting with the right cable.

Also, most (all) of the gear cable is 4mm these days — at least for the stuff with the right end to fit in STI shifters. Running 4mm cable in 5mm outers gives you plenty of space for water and gunk to get in. Leading to even worse shifting!

Retro Spud":3gaqhnzl said:
Someone will flame us both for being heretics - or dumb arses

Yup.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back