Brake & Gear Cable - where do you get yours from?

Usually I desperately ride to the hardware store for generic branded pre-cut ready to fit kits called "brake wire set", "shifting wire set", mostly because I am dying to finish a build. It frays on first fitting and the housing is so stiff that I have taken to bringing it into the bedroom to convince people I've still got it, and then I order the more expensive branded stuff from the internet, paying a large premium while having to wait makes it feel like a treat.

Genuine shimano cables are brilliant and last longer than cheap stuff.
Resists corrosion, heat and use.

We use jagwire when shimano is not available.it's pretty fair.

A single rainstorm can ruin cheap cables.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you're lucky.

Bulk shimano is probably actually cheaper than cheap rubbish - outer on a roll, inners in a box.

Don't get me started on ferrules!

Genuine shimano cables are brilliant and last longer than cheap stuff.
Resists corrosion, heat and use.

We use jagwire when shimano is not available.it's pretty fair.

A single rainstorm can ruin cheap cables.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you're lucky.

Bulk shimano is probably actually cheaper than cheap rubbish - outer on a roll, inners in a box.

Don't get me started on ferrules!
What about ferrules?😀

Don't believe in them

@Imlach we aren't talking about the ferrules at the bottom of your garden!

What about ferrules?😀

Don't ask😉

(Mutters quietly to himself:
Those 4mm plastic ones take a permanent, high-friction bend in no time. Awful with fussy road 10 speed.
Aluminium ones are so hard to locate!
And cheap 5mm ferrules can allow the reinforcing steel in the cable outer to push through🙄
And then different road STI levers seem to have different demands🤯)

Usually I desperately ride to the hardware store for generic branded pre-cut ready to fit kits called "brake wire set", "shifting wire set", mostly because I am dying to finish a build. It frays on first fitting and the housing is so stiff that I have taken to bringing it into the bedroom to convince people I've still got it, and then I order the more expensive branded stuff from the internet, paying a large premium while having to wait makes it feel like a treat.
Lol, that sounds like something I’d do!

Latest posts

Back