Same outer cable for gear and brakes

Re: Re:

bluetomgold":1du3rlxa said:
RMS_bike_463530067.jpg

The coiled stuff above (normally sold as brake cable) is OK for brakes or gears BUT not ideal for use with indexed gear systems as it can compress in use. It's totally fine with non-indexed gearing and in practice it usually works OK with SIS etc too.

cgfi-outer-draw.jpg

Proper gear cable usually looks like the stuff in the second picture above. It doesn't compress in the same way as the coiled stuff, so it's more reliable with indexed gear systems, but it's unsafe for use with brakes as it can burst open under a heavy pull, so I'm told anyway.

This. Using compression-less gear cable for brakes is a big no-no. Old sun dried brittle gear outers can split
with a gear change without warning - the exploded internal wire is not a pretty sight believe me.

Re:

Anyone got any pictures of gear cable on brakes that have failed as I find that gear cable outer works better for brakes as it is less springy. only running on a front drum brake at the moment to prove it was the cable at fault to get the brake to work.

I have bought some straight wound brake cable so which looks like big gear cable so should be ok safety wise.

Re:

You can buy "gear spiraled" outer cable for use with brakes from bmx suppliers.
It is wound like gear cables but rated for the forces that brakes apply.
It is excellent for cable discs in particular.
Kes

Re: Re:

Justonemorebike":3lplaui6 said:
Anyone got any pictures of gear cable on brakes that have failed
No, only had gear outer fail on gears, never used it on brakes.
https://images.app.goo.gl/3RB1rkKcdPEAzQue7
That's a failed gear outer.

as I find that gear cable outer works better for brakes as it is less springy. only running on a front drum brake at the moment to prove it was the cable at fault to get the brake to work.
Better brake outer needed, the high end stuff is all but compressionless. But benefits from being fitted well. Crap stuff, doesn't matter how well you fit it, it's always going to be springy.

I have bought some straight wound brake cable so which looks like big gear cable so should be ok safety wise.
We get spiral and coil wound cables for the same job, depends if it's rated for it or not. If it is, you'll be fine.

Some people even use PTFE hose instead of gear outer to save weight.......

Back