Romax Rescue #279 (Build Spec p. 5)

This is going to be sooooooo good.

Can't wait to read and see more!

Fork looks stunning. Parts plan looks perfect for the era.

This one gets a big Hell Yes from me!

Right, good plan. I ran that dual setup BITD, never did work that great.
I’m not too sure how practical they will actually be as I’m not riding at night all that much but really like the look of them. That, and it will be a fun project. There’s an awesome electronics/electronic components store here in Vancouver that will certainly have everything needed. I haven’t taken the bottle apart yet, but it would be cool to be able to re-wire a new battery within.

This is going to be sooooooo good.

Can't wait to read and see more!

Fork looks stunning. Parts plan looks perfect for the era.

This one gets a big Hell Yes from me!
Thanks!! Getting pretty stoked! Ya, the parts choice was a fairly easy one, 6 speed XT to follow the catalog and thought that perhaps an aftermarket part or two could have been cool for some added flair but I snagged an amazingly low mileage ‘88 Trek 8000 that had the groupset in pretty excellent condition and decided to make it a donor bike for the build. I can’t recall where but was ultimately stoked to find a NOS 27.0 post. There’s a few things that aren’t exactly what I’d imagined, but hey, things change. The big one was that I’d hoped to use a the 600 headset but as it turned out, the cups were a little too thick and there wasn’t enough steerer to catch the locknut… Too bad. Hahaha. The wheelset wasn’t my first choice, either but I’m going for it as it’s in great condition and period correct. XT/Matrix Singletrack. Decent enough! Hahaha

Aside from being lucky enough to have had Paul himself repair this bike, another lucky piece to the puzzle was getting my hands on a 1st gen Brodie stem. Big thanks to @Warhorse for this special bit that I think really ties the build together. Here’s a few photos of it, as well as an old catalog page which I think would be an early document of it when it was first available.

9F968677-10C0-4DEC-9CFD-231016E07864.jpeg B32F9AFD-0470-4917-AA8C-D6DFB62B4E87.jpeg 5612BA07-03C8-4F81-9657-F0B43B5CD22D.jpeg

A neat bit of context from Paul is in regard to the cable routing being on the “wrong” side. These 1st gen stems supposedly had them coming off of the left side to accommodate moto-style right-side of the handlebar front brakes. Not positive that I’ll run my front brake on the right as it might feel terrible and be less practical but I’m pretty curious. Hahaha. I guess otherwise, the cable housing takes a pretty sharp turn running the front brake on the left to get into the routing entrance. 🤔

Back