rock shox reba - issues and help (ebay & practical content)

Re: rock shox reba - issues and help (ebay & practical conte

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go, bought a donor set of forks on the cheap so will try with them first and see how I go.

Anyone know where I can get the appropriate service kit. I've seen a few about on eBay but can't find a full kit.

ishaw":1psm545f said:
Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go, bought a donor set of forks on the cheap so will try with them first and see how I go.

Anyone know where I can get the appropriate service kit. I've seen a few about on eBay but can't find a full kit.
Call TFTuned with the serial number. They'll sort you out.

I checked their spares section out and unless I'm missing something, buying all the kits needed is almost as much as getting them to do the service, as if I do a full service, I'd need the wiper seals, fluid, motion control service kit and an air service kit, which comes in at somewhere around the £75 mark. I've found a few places that will do a full service for that, and as this is my first foray into modern fork servicing (still waiting for some parts from active sport to do my Fox forks), I'm trying to save a few pounds as if it goes wrong, I'd need to get them done properly anyway.

You can remove the damper without dropping the lowers or touching the air/spring side. All you need to do is remove the compression/lockout dial from the top of the leg, this is a small allen key or at worst a circlip depending on the generation. Once this is off use a 24mm socket and carefully unscrew the damper, you can then pull the damper out of the leg. Make sure the lockout/compression dial is fully open or it'll be a pig to remove.

The seal kits you can buy will replace the main O rings and glide rings in the damper but may not solve your problem. Most of the Rockshox forks I've encountered leak from the small shaft that the lockout or floodgate dial attach to, this passes through the top cap and is sealed internally by a small O ring. This O ring isn't included in most kits and is very hard to get to as it's within the damper assembly. If this is the case it's best to ship the damper to TF Tuned and have it serviced.

I would start by cleaning up the damper, removing the leaky fluid from the top cap, use a light coating of grease on the top cap O rings and put it back together. You could even leave the old damper oil in to start off with although while you're there you might as well drain it and fill it with fresh oil.

Then try to keep it upright! :)

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a go first, and if it still leaks then I cam send the damper away as you suggest rather than the whole fork, ad it does seem quite serviceable at home.

My donor Reba forks have arrived and are much better than I expected. Aside from the u-turn adjuster and a lower leg nut not being present, they seem to work, stantions are unmarked and the Steerer is a shade longer than the one on my 'good' forks.

The lockout assembly is slightly different and also seems to be spring loaded so would this unit be better to use than the one I have in situ? If so, I will swap over, but am wondering if I should try and find a u-turn adjuster and swap the whole csu. I've done some googling and asked tf tuned about the adjuster but can't seem to find one, so does anyone know where I can get one? Should I stick to the non u-turn csu?

Any further advice gratefully received.

What is different about the adjuster? Is the new fork a U-turn model?

Donor fork is a team version as opposed to the sl. So differences seem to be u-turn only, though the lock-out adjuster is slightly different (grub screw vs circlip) and it seems to be sprung-loaded (which makes sense). That's about it.

Well I would keep the air sprung lowers and use the non-leaky damper from the SL. The team edition damper should have a gold external floodgate dial but if it's leaking you'll be better off with the SL damper.

Back