Road tyre size change.

alans27

Old School Hero
Hello, as I've mentioned in other posts of late I've got my girlfriend a rather nice Pinnacle Neon hybrid. Really, really nice bike it is!
Anyway I'm currently getting it ready to hand over and I'm putting all sorts of new parts on it and just tidying it up.
However the Kenda tyres on it are only 28c. They look in good condition but the last thing I want is for her to come off in the rain or something so I was considering for peace of mind, switching the 28c tyres for something a little bigger like 32c.
But do you think making that change will make that much difference or am I wasting my money? The idea is to put bigger tyres on with the aim to give it more grip and make it safer in the wet.

Thanks.

Bigger contact patch but at lower pressure. Whether that will help depends what she's riding on.

By the way, 32c isn't a size. You probably mean 700x32c in old French, or 32-622 in modern.

Re:

You might want to consider something like Continental's 4 season Grand Prix tyres, availalble up to 28c, but with a tread and compound that's supposed to give more grip.

More generally, one of the main ways to avoid coming off in the wet is to avoid stuff like manhole covers, which are deadly in the rain.

Yup, most of the things that will bring you off in bad weather will bring you off if you have 23 or 43mm tyres. Leaves, leaf mould, drain covers, white lines, ice and stuff. Road style tread (in fact most tread patterns) make next to no difference on tarmac either. It's mostly down to tyre compound and pressure.

Sorry for being fussy on the sizes but there is 650x40c out there, although rare on road bikes I think, compared to 700c, 650a and 650b.

Re:

Other than ensuring the correct diameter you need to consider wheel rim width and space on forks and frame for the wider/deeper tyre.

Can't offer any advice on riding in the wet though :D

mattr":10z78m5i said:
Yup, most of the things that will bring you off in bad weather will bring you off if you have 23 or 43mm tyres. Leaves, leaf mould, drain covers, white lines, ice and stuff. Road style tread (in fact most tread patterns) make next to no difference on tarmac either. It's mostly down to tyre compound and pressure.

That's actually a very sensible way of looking at it. Thanks mate, think I'll leave the tyres as they are.

FWIW the main benefit with bigger tyres, for the sort of riding the bike is likely to see, is improved comfort. (Lower pressures are possible.)
But with 28s, you should already be ok down to 70-80 psi.

Another thought on this is that you might want to use some slime or similar puncture protection stuff to prevent blow-outs, again
a way to make the tyres a bit safer I suppose.

Back