Road mechs on mtbs

I think they work quite fine so long as you're running relatively sensible gaps between chainring sizes and a 28t max cassette.

The 600 on the Pro-Flex is original, as in that bike is exactly as delivered in 1993 (apart from the elastomer smore in the rear).

FluffyChicken":23t09w8r said:
DX etc was also SS and SGS, not till lower down the range did GS appear, even SS was still available

Of course it was the 6/7speed era (MTB, Road was already at 8sp) and the range of a 6speed wouldn't need such a large chain wrap.

In fact, at least in 1991, 105 (RD-1055) a commonly used mech had the same spec as the XT Short cage
Suntour of course in their McroDrive range made short cages, I forget the bolt to bolt length.

Things changed a bit over the years eg M730 was only available in GS and SGS as was the comparable DX hence the use of road versions. The short cage SS versions of XT etc which came later weren't that common which is why they aren't seen all that often. Likewise the M950 SS is a pretty rare beast too

The SS caged mtb derailleurs I've played with all appear the same length as the short cage SS road versions (which makes sense if you look at a lot of Shimano codes), and most people who talk about short cage derailleurs are refferring to GS ones rather than true SS versions.

andrewl":wl4b8qq3 said:
FluffyChicken":wl4b8qq3 said:
DX etc was also SS and SGS, not till lower down the range did GS appear, even SS was still available

Of course it was the 6/7speed era (MTB, Road was already at 8sp) and the range of a 6speed wouldn't need such a large chain wrap.

In fact, at least in 1991, 105 (RD-1055) a commonly used mech had the same spec as the XT Short cage
Suntour of course in their McroDrive range made short cages, I forget the bolt to bolt length.

Things changed a bit over the years eg M730 was only available in GS and SGS as was the comparable DX hence the use of road versions. The short cage SS versions of XT etc which came later weren't that common which is why they aren't seen all that often. Likewise the M950 SS is a pretty rare beast too

The SS caged mtb derailleurs I've played with all appear the same length as the short cage SS road versions (which makes sense if you look at a lot of Shimano codes), and most people who talk about short cage derailleurs are refferring to GS ones rather than true SS versions.

Should have added my data was referring 1990+ i.e M735 era which gives plenty of time to get SS M735 mechs and DX M650.

Pulley C2C
XC Pro MD = 56.5
XC Pro 'GX' = 85

XT M737 GS = 66.5
XT M735 SGS = 86.5
XT M750 SS = 49, (but remember we are on 11 tooth pullies now)
I do have the M735 SS somewhere

Used to run a 105 mech bitd, the cool looking one.
Had 24, 36, 48 rings, and 12-28 block. Only ever used top two gears in granny ring, and sized chain so JUST not lock on big/big and all worked fine. Cheap as chips, looked cool, shifted as well as xtr. Every one a winner!

But then I changed to XTR after a while, cos really it was more cool tbh :LOL:

after going through 2 or 3 DX rear mechs, back in 1991, I upgraded to a champagney coloured 105 short cage and it was one of the single best moves I made, coupled with deore thumbies...

It never let me down, and took a hell of a hammering for hundereds and hundereds of off-road miles. not bad for roadie kit.. :LOL:

I used XC Pro short cage (with XC Pro thumbies) on my 1993 Pine Mountain, and various other bikes as they were lovely mechs. Dont remember ever having issues. Not sure how the cage length compares with road mechs though. Can't remember the last time I looked at one.

GT-Steve":3j9tjdr8 said:
after going through 2 or 3 DX rear mechs, back in 1991, I upgraded to a champagney coloured 105 short cage and it was one of the single best moves I made, coupled with deore thumbies...

It never let me down, and took a hell of a hammering for hundereds and hundereds of off-road miles. not bad for roadie kit.. :LOL:

Let's face it, Shimano road and MTB mechs are all the same design, simply with different cosmetics. It's no big surprise it lasted.

Back