Rigid fork for 97 Kona Mini Mula?

dvatcmark

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi
Just bought my first retro build a 97 Kona Mini mula. Was originally looking for a 94 kona but the 97 mini mula was too tempting.

I'm now looking for a rigid fork for it, it'd ideally like to find a 97 P2 but these seem to be fairly rare due to most of the kona range being fitted with suspension forks.

So my questions is what is a good alternative fork? My 94 fire mountain has a P2 with an axle to crown of around 41.5 I believe, is this the same for the 97 bikes or where they designed for longer forks?

The cheapest fork I've seen new, is a Exotic alloy with 42.5 in length, is this too long?

Any help would be appreciated (or P2s offers :D )

Cheers
Mark

I've got a 410 a/c P2 going spare, long steerer for ahead. I ran it for two years on my singlespeed. Bought in 2006 as NOS in black.

say £30 posted?

We've had this before. A Mini Mula is a Muslim religious figure in size small. An aluminium Kona is called a Muni Mula. If it was called a Mini Mula, the joke contained within the name wouldn't work.

Your 97 frame has the same geometry as your 94 Fire Mountain, except that size for size the FM has a half inch shorter top tube than the higher models like the MM. Both are made for a 41cm a-c P2. The FM has a triple-butted P2 and I would certainly recommend that you fit a triple-butted P2 to the Muni Mula.

I didn't realise the forks on my fm were.triple, butted. I thought the hshana and fm only got plain gauge forks.

Sounds like the best fork for my mini mula would be a triple butted a head , but in the mean time I can drop my fm forks onto it , and take the fm out of service whilst I look for a new pair

dvatcmark":3uw2o8nf said:
I didn't realise the forks on my fm were.triple, butted. I thought the hshana and fm only got plain gauge forks.
The 94 (red) FM was the only FM to get the triple-butted P2.

Anthony":2qfv7ry7 said:
dvatcmark":2qfv7ry7 said:

Any idea what wheelset it had, Anthony? x138s by any chance?

Any other red Konas from that year?

jonnymcenroe":1bb8b2vd said:
Anthony":1bb8b2vd said:
dvatcmark":1bb8b2vd said:
Any idea what wheelset it had, Anthony? x138s by any chance?
Any other red Konas from that year?
I don't think X138s came out until much later. Most Konas had Bontrager rims that year. And no, FM was the only red one.

It's all in the catalogue in the archive incidentally.

My 94 fm came with bontrager bcx3 rims, stx rear hub and un branded front. Still got the front one in the attic, the rear died after I tried to copy some of the moves on the mbuk dirt video

Back