Ridiculously Priced Bikes

Don't knock 'em until you've tried them! Ok, a double pylon is silly money but a TSR 9 is 1200 quid and a lot of people reckon it rides better. Seriously, if you get a chance have a go, they're dead quick and really comfy!

Just a twist, but isn't one of the popularity of folding bikes in the UK due to need to respond to the abysmal rail transport / urban / office infrastructure of moving a bike and storing it somewhere safe?

I have been impressed at the army of commuters leaving London with their lunch-box sized bikes to neatly store on the train, and then ride off from the station to home. But....

Now compare this to other major cities across Europe, and you will find a normal bike is generally sufficient due to the supporting infrastructure.

If you've been to the pinnacle in Holland, then you know what I'm talking about to see the direction I'm coming from.

My mother rode a Moulton and it fell to bits and she ended up in hospital; anything with fastened joints will never be as trust worthy as a welded frame. That's a hard fact to dispute.

In my youth, one of our lecturers gave a speech how fast and stable his Moulton was and how he could corner faster than anyone else on a "normal bike". I pointed out TdF riders regularly approach the 50 Mph mark and his response was "...because they leave their brain at the top of the mountain". Mmmh. So much for the science of cycling.

To be clear, I'm very hesitant of there cycling quality and remain to be convinced, but don't doubt they have a significant practical use in day to day functions with certain constraints of space. It is a compromise.

By the way, I think this example from the OP and it's price tag is just stupid. I'm using a parts bin SS special for commuting, no big loss if it's stolen or wrecked and would happily attempt to thrash anyone on an expensive folder in a catorgary 6 race with it (up hill or off the lights or on the deep pothole routes of course) ;)

Most non-cyclist would say that the price of most bikes is ridiculous. The 'arm & leg' that mine cost was total madness :LOL:

I have to agree, there are not real viable alternatives to car driving. It's so frustrating; I work, to a certain extent, in the rail industry and it's rotten and wouldn't take much to adapt it so we could have a truly integrated transport system.
Having said that my 1963 Moulton is still going strong; the early frames were riveted but also edge brazed, a technique borrowed from the aviation industry.

What about station bikes? Basically low value crap to leave out overnight / day and ride just for the short stretches - one left at the point of departure and one at point of arrival?

....both bikes do not need to have Campag Super Record nor cost £14K ;)

I have a Ti CK headset so obviously im one to talk :oops:

But £14 1/2K is totally over the top,i mean if you break it down to its component parts you're looking at £10K+ profit.That cannot be right.

'Creating' a limited edition just to make a killing :?

HF":1srbdrc5 said:
what looks like a kite welded to a kid's bike

Best description ive heard yet.Totally sums it up :LOL:

Agree, it's a great description - spot on!

I mean, when you look at this:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

you can't help but think WTF is going on there and something is bound to get clogged up with crap or rattle about unless you have a fetish for a pedantic professional manicures AND have a degree in applied scaffolding.

bod":2a2kdzvr said:
Don't knock 'em until you've tried them! Ok, a double pylon is silly money but a TSR 9 is 1200 quid and a lot of people reckon it rides better. Seriously, if you get a chance have a go, they're dead quick and really comfy!

x2.....surprisingly quick!......14k quick?.....hhmmmmmm.....

Woz":coxmcal6 said:
Agree, it's a great description - spot on!

I mean, when you look at this:
you can't help but think WTF is going on there and something is bound to get clogged up with crap or rattle about unless you have a fetish for a pedantic professional manicures AND have a degree in applied scaffolding.

Its completely overblown.half of that pile of parts doesnt really need to be there.Its like theyve taken everything thats been learned about designing bikes and added a ton of crap to it.

But as usual these monstrosities will sell and adorn the loft apartment of some shallow sallow.

Back