Retroism......why?

Lets put it into perspective.

The site is for people to gather and share tales, memories, the odd dream bike and information from and around the golden era of mountainbiking, to then join the said forum and say that people on it are too focused on the parts of that period, in making bikes to look and ride like that is irrational. To assume everyone on here is obsessed with catalogue spec is also far from the truth.

Some people obviously have certain issues, to assume that everyone else is feeling or acting the same way and possibly in denial, is again, far off the mark.

To keep bringing up the above issues is I feel, as I have already said, focusing on others.

So much negativity :LOL:
Well said.

Even coming from every differing angle it sounds like we're actually all quite aligned - never ever put bar ends on risers! 🤣
I've got a set of bar end drops in the mail I'm going to add to my mx risers, and once I'm let out of my padded cell I shall be seen as a pioneer, by the outcast lepers and local loons

Road adjacent MXMTB I call it.

I do what works for me. What's affordable, comfortable, and in keeping with what I had in mind. As long as aesthetically it works I don't really mind.

That's what I do, also I really cannot afford to do anything else.
The bikes I have are from trades - smart buys and luck, I use a cheap adjustable stem on my mint 1991 Carbolite.
Why because I don't want to ride it if it has the original stem (which I still have) because it hurts my shoulders and back.

It needs to be comfortable N#1 if it fits and works I'm good.
Pretty sure all the old farts on this forum would agree. 🤣

I dont think I could ever be accused of doing things for other people....if I had, life would be very different.....and really not in a good way.

I think one reason could be that I don't really see retro as retro...the bikes I use are the bikes I use, most are old, some I've had a very very long time, but adding new / non catalogue parts isn't really a problem as they have been evolving since day 1.

I could see that if you "got into" retro bikes, to fulfill as @pw_pw_la said a regressive need, that having thecexact bike you wanted way back when, is the appeal....and you want what you want!

But it still doesn't explain that slight "itchiness" as @widowmaker said about putting the "wrong " brakes on.....

Its kinda why I posed the question.

Certainly sounds like something I'd say!

For myself, the journey has already moved pretty rapidly; from bikes I lusted over, to bikes I didn't even know existed back then, and now to refining my expectations, searches, spending and tastes more towards certain, specific things I really want. I'm also more inclined to spend my retro pennies on things that have been proved tried and trusted, versus the next shiny, cool looking thing that catches my eye.

My builds and bikes have also already changed quite a bit over a relatively short space of time, and this is down to two factors:

1. Refining my own take on this retro thing; a personal ethos when it comes to old bikes, if you will (I've thought about writing this up, actually, as a kind of essay/manifesto for and to myself). My own little corner of this world, if you will.

2. Riding more.

The second one is key.

As much as I love old bikes, I need them to work! I can only justify spending my limited funds on things I know I will enjoy out on the trails. I ride more now than ever, and I want to enjoy the ride as much as the bike.

This means I am already WAY less strict when it comes to period correctness, and will now happily include modern components if I feel they improve and suit the bike.

For me, their inclusion comes down to taste. I think a successful build can go any number of ways, and it's really all about making sure it feels right. Both aesthetically and mechanically. Does that modern element work harmoniously with the rest of the bike? Does that old rear derailleur shift well? Are those bars wide enough to give me a comfortable and responsive ride?

New stuff on old bikes can look great, as can old stuff on new ones. It's just about getting the balance right between aesthetics and performance.

(I've just this weekend, finally, "finished" a new bike, that, for me, has come the closest to nailing this approach. I'm actually quite proud of it, and it not only looks the part, but it rides superbly too. The build came as much from necessity and availability as desire, but I'm really pleased with the results. I'll make a thread for it soon, promise!)

Another factor in all this retro businessis that there aren't as many modern builders that I'm as excited about as there are from way-back-when. And those that I am, I'm currently priced out of because most of them would mean having a custom bike built. Something I'm itching today, but I really need to start saving up for!

When it comes to retro stuff, I like not only the history of the builder and manufacturer of these bikes and components, but also of the riders that came before me! I like old shit. I like the feeling of something being handed down, of still being used. I like stories!

I like the idea of saving and cherishing well-made things that have existed for decades. I like meeting and talking to other like-minded people that like this too!

I also hate capitalism and modernism in equal measure, but I can appreciate that there are new things that are made just as well, or maybe even better than some of the old shit I instinctively gravitate towards too. I'd rather buy a vintage Champion sweatshirt, and also an older Potts. But Paul make better brakes now than ever, and a modern Chris King headset still looks the part!

I guess the main thing is this: I want to ride a bike I'm excited about, but I also don't want to feel too precious towards it! It's a machine, a tool. The riding is the thing. So I want to know that I can just go and ride the shit out of it, and not be so worried all the time about breaking something irreplaceable and costly, that will take me another decade of hunting and hustling to replace!

I think some people have the wrong end of the stick about this post....its certainly not negative about retro bikes......but i also feel its quite important to question motivations and actions in life.

Just doing the same thing because you always did it is hardly a useful philosophy imho.

Oh, and I'll ride risers, happily.

But I've never liked bar-ends and never will.

So luckily I don't have to worry about ever putting the two together!

They look bad enough on flat bars anyway, and you guys love ruining your beautiful bikes with them! ;)

Latest posts

Back