Retrobike SE members - what are your plans for 2014

Re:

OK, another 3 months have passed... (almost). So how we all doing?

From my original list, I guess things move and change, but largely the aims are the same if the methods are not. So an udpate from me.

1) What do you want to do in 2014 on a bike?
1) I still want to do the 100 miler, however, it might now be in Audax form or even off road (SDW), I think I can get the Audax thing done sooner rather than later but have the SDW still in progress. Would like to do the 100 miler via Retrobike too if we can all sort something.

2) Got any plans for a bike you want to build or upgrade / modify?
2) I have got the Retro bikes mostly running, the Lo-Pro being the shameful exception but I suspect that will be the sum of many parts to finish. Apart from that, I appear to have additional mountain bikes now, which wasn't in the plan. So I have some sorting and clearing out etc to do. I still never managed to get to a bike jumble and get rid of all the things that need to be gone.

3) Any routes or races you are keen on trying?
3) I am thinking against the TT now and just concentrating on distance and reliability, something like Audax or similar. The SDW thing is alluring for a few reasons, especially after a recent bike ride on it that was a good day out. The Midlands run and a few other rides convinced me that at a steady pace, I can get on with some distance and not be too phased by it all and thats the sort of thing i'd like to do most of all.

4) Any dirty and improper thoughts about modern bikes (shh)?
I did some parts upgrades on my more modern stuff as things were getting a bit on the worn side of reliable, so they were not expensive new toys but improved the bikes a bit. One or two spares passed to my son's bike so he has nice stuff to use now, occasionally.

5) Fitness / Miles / achievement you haven't completed before?
Completed quite a few more miles than in recent years so far and feel a bit better for it. Had a bad foot which put me out of action for 2 weeks, just recovering from that so that I can carry on with things.

Re:

3 and a bit months later.... (yes, I plan to do the whole year...)

1) What do you want to do in 2014 on a bike?

1) I did the 100 miler, well, 2 of them (and nearly a third). I'd still like to get a Retrobike one sorted but perhaps the weather and days are closing in - next few weekends most likely I guess. I'd like to get back to Bedgebury a few more times before the year is out - the course there is now fully open again so it feels more complete and is a lot of fun.

2) Got any plans for a bike you want to build or upgrade / modify?
2) I did a little recce today whilst moving a few bikes around, it was quite shocking to say the least - I think the MTB's have been making baby MTB's or something. This wasn't in the plan. No further forward with the Lo Pro :( but suspect this will be something to keep me out of the pub in the winters, as will the re-furb of the retro road that did get some use this year.

3) Any routes or races you are keen on trying?
3) I did an Audax with Bobcatmax, which was a good day out really and probably one of the nicer events of the year. The biggest smile award from that goes to me and Max struggling up a 25% + slope while ignoring our riding buddy who was telling us we were going the wrong way. The cyclocross route we did (Retrobike) was a good route too. No Liege (work got in the way) and no TT as actually I never even bothered looking for one in the end. I did about 2/3rds of the SDW with bryan555 which was a great but very hot day, things conspired and we didn't complete the whole thing but I want to do it in a day now.

4) Any dirty and improper thoughts about modern bikes (shh)?
Fat bike here and been used, its a lot of fun, really, lots.

5) Fitness / Miles / achievement you haven't completed before?

Done more miles than I have recorded in recent memory and hope to break 4k miles soon. The last 4-5 weeks have been a mix of colds and bugs that have kept the miles down. I did 50 today and felt 'orrid but hopefully it'll start to improve soon. Want to lower mileage towards the end of the year and do more offroad.

Anyone got any updates or anything fun planned for the Winter?

Re:

That's a lot of milews Mr Evo, well done, I think ;)

As or my plans, hmmm , well, :roll:

1. Still didn't manage to clear some bits of trail, but others I did, so 5/10

2. Didn't sell the Trek, upgrading it instead :facepalm: so -10/10

3. Rode the Big Dog, had lots of fun in the sun, came home with more stuff than I went with :roll: Also learnt that you can bust a sprocket straight off a Shimano cassette. Well, 7-speed was just too new age! 8/10

4. Built up my first 29er :oops: . Ridden it twice.So 1/10

5. No ambition, must try harder! Not :LOL: 256/10

So overall, ok methinks.

As for winter, I'll be messing about off-road and, occasionally on the road.

Mike

I did a few audax rides, including The Hamburg - Berlin - Köln - Hamburg 1500 km in August, which was good fun and a bit hilly.

bugloss":d5l4x4ry said:
I did a few audax rides, including The Hamburg - Berlin - Köln - Hamburg 1500 km in August, which was good fun and a bit hilly.

Ace, want to spill the beans on what a 1500km Audax is like? :)

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1dge754n said:
1. Still didn't manage to clear some bits of trail, but others I did, so 5/10

You should get a 29er, you'd clear all the trails then*.

3. Rode the Big Dog, had lots of fun in the sun, came home with more stuff than I went with :roll: Also learnt that you can bust a sprocket straight off a Shimano cassette. Well, 7-speed was just too new age! 8/10

err... and how many gears on the....

4. Built up my first 29er :oops: . Ridden it twice.So 1/10

Did you forget to tell the boys and girls about your newest Crabon Fribe purchase?

As for winter, I'll be messing about off-road and, occasionally on the road.

Mike

Hope to see you there. :) And thanks for the early season road rides and encouragement :D

DA-EVO":2w0xjw1p said:
bugloss":2w0xjw1p said:

Ace, want to spill the beans on what a 1500km Audax is like? :)

Long.

Back