Retro Triathlon Bikes ??????????????????????????????????????

As has already been mentioned, triathletes don't look after their bikes - in my experience of buying/renovating/selling 'vintage' bikes.

I pick them up to strip them of parts - they often have gears, chainsets, and brakes in very good condition, but the frames and stems are often corroded, and the 26" wheels aren't very interesting to anyone, hence why these bikes are cheap.

I have a couple of carbon tri bars with extensions and brake levers for 250 Danish krone each, if anyone in Denmark wants them!
The only thing I'd want from Denmark would be a Principia 650 triathlon bike with 26" wheels 😍

Not so interested in aluminium. Someone is selling a vgc Assmussen Columbus Max road frame for around €300 at the moment. 57cm is too big for me, or I’d have it!

I've never ridden a 650 TT bike, they always seem to be the cheap ones. Do they feel noticeably slower than a 700c bike? There have been a few 90's Scott's and Cannondale's on ebay recently. Always tempted but put off by the wheel size.

I've never ridden a 650 TT bike, they always seem to be the cheap ones. Do they feel noticeably slower than a 700c bike? There have been a few 90's Scott's and Cannondale's on ebay recently. Always tempted but put off by the wheel size.
I can't find that much difference in ride feel between 700c and 650c wheels. Mind that actual diameter is 571mm vs 622mm. 650c's are a little more responsive when accelerating and a little more twitchy when cornering. Possibly a little more stable in cross winds. Hunting for tires and tubes can be somehow challenging nowadays. As I already said, I'm biased by the fact that those bikes were hot when I was a young triathlete; but if you find one cheap in your size, I suggest to give it a go

I kever really understood why they went down the 650 route. Not being restrained by UCI rules it was good for short people and their custom bikes, though. Talking of not being restrained.....do some googling of current triathlon bikes. I think the best examples will be from something like "ironman tri bike", as a search string.

those mbk's, peugeot's and centurion's were merely road bikes with triathlon and/or ironman stickers. real tri bikes had steep seat tubes, 650c wheels and bull horn bars
That's what i meant by everyone was trying to get in on it,sometimes just slapping a Triathlon sticker on something in their range of bikes.

🤪 ...... more slapping Triathlon stickers on something.

0016ffe72e326269cd70ed8646680feb0673c8dc.jpg

Latest posts

Back