Retro Racing Photos

REKIBorter":2ysy0cbq said:
The fourth is at Thetford racing through a bombhole

Thats Madgetts Pit in Thetford Forest. I remember it well ;)

Although its completely ruined now :(

Ah, those were the days when it was all fresh and new and suspension forks were the exception!

Cross Country racing was brilliant then, lots of competition in all categories. Vets was good as (apart from the ones who should have still been riding 'Expert'!) we were all similar in capability and racing was close.

Mind you, some prizes were sh*t, I remember waiting for hours to get a result sorted out and then getting a fluorescent water bottle for second!

Old Ned":3rtpcs6l said:
Ah, those were the days when it was all fresh and new and suspension forks were the exception!

Cross Country racing was brilliant then, lots of competition in all categories. Vets was good as (apart from the ones who should have still been riding 'Expert'!) we were all similar in capability and racing was close.

Mind you, some prizes were sh*t, I remember waiting for hours to get a result sorted out and then getting a fluorescent water bottle for second!

Couldnt agree more!

If I remember rightly, the prizes at 'Wildtracks' we never more than £10 :roll:

Still, I always raced for the buzz and not the money :D

Anyone got any photos of the NEMBA series circa 1991-1993. I competed in quite a few. Best I managed was a 7th place finish in Eston Hills. Vaguely recall an 8th or 9th place finish in Hamsterly Forest. Probably would have done quite well overall, given I wasn't brilliant - but I couldn't get my dad to drive me to the more distant venues.

Not strictly an actual racing photo but a posed shot of my old MTB squad 'Team Spirit' from Wakefield in around 1993. Photo was used in some of the magazines at the time as a small feature. We raced quite a few events across North East and North Midlands with reasonable success.

I'm 'Team Manager' on the left - anyone recognise any of the others?

Attachments

• TeamSpirit93.A.jpg
    TeamSpirit93.A.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,290
Pickle":2k4l75xf said:
Dont recognise anyone, but thats a nice DBR Dual Response! :cool:
It's still in my shed. I'm hoping to put it together again this summer - just for posing of course!

To be very honest I've hardly ridden it. It was an impulse buy when I was a bit flush. I seem to remember there was a bit of 'biopacing' effect over bumps and undulations. I was thinking of doing some downhilling as a 'young vet' (not much competition then) but they brought in the full-face helmet and body armour rules so I gave the idea up.

There's another thread on here somewhere about them. Try a search.

REKIBorter":86a7r41i said:
Prompted me to have a look through the archives. Loads of piccies to choose from. The first and one is me in Marshalls Cycles colours racing at Tewin Water School, the second one is racing at somewhere near Towcester with me heading the field! The third is at Thetford racing through a bombhole and the fourth is a nice picture of my arse at Tewin, Steve Marshall always liked to include water in his race courses :twisted:

any more pictures of tewin water?
does anyone ride in the local area?

Back