Retro or Modern - What do we prefer riding?

Retro or Modern?

• Retro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Chris H":26pijsjl said:
And, if I'm out riding with the locals on their 5" travel freeriders, I'll be waiting for 5 minutes at the top of the hills but they'll only be waiting for one minute at the bottom!

5" travel is a lot more XC than freeride on today's bikes. ;)

Karen Cole":2ltsy89l said:
Has to be retro all the way or i think we should all be on another forum :roll: .

I dont know so much.
A lot of people on here have both new and retro bikes. For me, my roots are in the 90's as thats when I started cycling.
So, I enjoy my 07 bike and appreciate its disc brakes, lock out forks etc, but my heart is in retro riding and all things 90's.

As Gus (Wu-Tangled) always says, retro is a state of mind ;)

Pickle":1hwgotwm said:
Karen Cole":1hwgotwm said:
Has to be retro all the way or i think we should all be on another forum :roll: .

I dont know so much.
A lot of people on here have both new and retro bikes. For me, my roots are in the 90's as thats when I started cycling.
So, I enjoy my 07 bike and appreciate its disc brakes, lock out forks etc, but my heart is in retro riding and all things 90's.

As Gus (Wu-Tangled) always says, retro is a state of mind ;)

I completely agree with this point of view - I started cycling (seriously) in the late 80's and bikes from that time through to the mid 90's will always have an appeal for me that lots of modern stuff just doesn't seem to have.
If there is one common theme running through all the bikes I have owned (I still have and ride all but one of them) it is that they are all steel frames, from my 1988 Explosif to my 2006 Blizzard. The Blizzard still feels quite retro-ish to me, but I do appreciate geometry that will let me run 120mm forks and the ability to use disc brakes. In fact, if I could only ride my older bikes the one thing I would miss would be disc brakes, especially at this time of year.
In my opinion they were the best thing to happen to MTB's , just as they were in the motorcycle trials and enduro world too.

Andy R":jeuxbibq said:
In fact, if I could only ride my older bikes the one thing I would miss would be disc brakes, especially at this time of year.
In my opinion they were the best thing to happen to MTB's

Yea, couldn't agree more. I did miss my discs at the Retro Ale Wobble in November last year. It was so muddy that the V's just couldnt cope, so I was flying down the Welsh mountains with next to no brakes :shock:

Attachments

• Real Ale Wobble 2007 027 _Small_.jpg
    Real Ale Wobble 2007 027 _Small_.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 592
Back