Retro or Modern - What do we prefer riding?

Retro or Modern?

• Retro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tricky - I like making old work with new...

my airborne is spanky new but with a set of very stiff '92 XT cranks/ rings, stoopidly short USE rigid forks, long stem and old Proshift mechs with new LX 9spd - works flawlessly.

My Zaskar has '92 XT f/r mechs with a 9 spd cass. and new Tiagra STI with 12 year old Hope Ti hubs.... The cranks are 1980 Shimano 600 with a brand new 9 speed ring slung on on a '92 Zaskar frame on a UN72 bottom bracket that came with the frame!

I bought a brand new 2000 team colours Canondale F3000 Disk for over £2.5K as a present to myself - bigest bag of shite I'd ever owned :cry: sold it after 3 months.

Had a first generation Marin Mt. Vision with a warranty replacement swingarm - fantastic! rode the nuts off it - bought a brand new 2003 Wolf ridge - absolute cack...

Blinged up an On-One - awfull, awfull ride...

Blinged up my Airborne - :p :p :LOL: fantastic, like a new Zaskar...

Who knows....

Huntso":1shknywu said:
Bit like comparing so called retro cars, would I swap my current Honda for the Morris Marina of thirty years ago. I don't think so
See there i have to disagree with you me and the other half have two cars a modern BMW 323i and a Retro Ford Model T and the Model T wins hands down every time :LOL: .

Attachments

• DSC00337 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00337 (Medium).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC00336 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00336 (Medium).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC00335 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00335 (Medium).JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Ain't trying to be a smart ar*e but that look's like a model "B" to me :? , 1932 or 1933 ? , definetely not a "T" , stunning car though :cool:

I agree about the modern cars though, there's not any that really interest me, though if i did a lot of miles up and down the country i'd chose something modern, just gets the job done better, but for something to keep and cherish it'd be an older classic car.

cherrybomb":3hspqkpj said:
I don't own a modern bike so by default I'll have to say retro. :D

Same here :oops: my F6 is the 'newest' bike I own....

I'd like to try a Slayer, ETSX, Cove G-Spot or a Pace RC506 though just out of curiosity :)

When I originally decided I wanted to own another hardtail, I thought I'd get a Zaskar or Xizang (yea, like they come up all the time!). Then, my old sponsor offered my the 2007 Avalanche Expert for £500. How could I refuse; its a £800 list price bike!
So, in effect I went modern by accident, but dont regret it. The only trouble is, as I found out much to my annoyance at the Retro Cannock ride in December, the ride is so different it takes you a while to get back 'at one' with your bike! I spend nearly all of my time on the Avalanche, when I hop on the RTS it takes an hour or so to readjust to its handling.

Things like components and frames moved on massively between the early and mid 90s. I'd contend that with the exception of disc brakes and suspension the evolution between the mid 90s and late 00s has been far less in comparison.

At the end of the day the main thing that will always out is quality which is why huntso is so misguided.

Huntso":328mb4vn said:
Bit like comparing so called retro cars, would I swap my current Honda for the Morris Marina of thirty years ago. I don't think so

The marina was crap back in the day. Your point is moot. Would I trade your Honda Jazz 1.2 (or whatever it is) for this motor below, a 1978 911 turbo? Course I would :LOL:

competition11.jpg

Well I couldnt say that I am a modern rider as I have '99 Cannondale F800 MTB and '91 Kona Lavadome which I am working on it at the moment, I hate disc brakes and suspension forks/frames on any bikes, yuk! but I love retro frame and forks with modern parts on it because it make the ride easier and enjoyable, on the retro bikes I wouldnt have these huge tyres or flat handlebars as these make the ride harder while riser bars will make you feel comfy and smaller tyres will it easier and smooth to ride.

So I am retro with frame and forks while modern with parts around the bike.

ramped cassettes - nothing else has really improved life quite so much....

Attachments

• Shimano_HG50_cassette[1].jpg
    Shimano_HG50_cassette[1].jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,047
jimihendrix":b3xcio9m said:
Ain't trying to be a smart ar*e but that look's like a model "B" to me :? , 1932 or 1933 ? , definetely not a "T" , stunning car though :cool:

I agree about the modern cars though, there's not any that really interest me, though if i did a lot of miles up and down the country i'd chose something modern, just gets the job done better, but for something to keep and cherish it'd be an older classic car.
Yes your right it is a model "B" body but it's running on a custom model "T" chassis sorry about that i just always have referred to it as a "T" :LOL:

Eddie_The_Head":zvf3wv78 said:
jimihendrix":zvf3wv78 said:

Yes your right it is a model "B" body but it's running on a custom model "T" chassis sorry about that i just always have referred to it as a "T" :LOL:

AAAAAHHHHH!!!, Right, got ya ;) i've hung up my anorak now anyway :LOL:

Back