Retro good and retro bad.

You will, indeed, find the bike hierarchies in the catalogues but, if you want a bike that you enjoy riding, don't just look at the tubing and components, look at the geometry too. And think about what purposes you want the bike for. A bike is never just good or bad; it is good for a given purpose and a given rider, or it is not. If you look at the bikes that their owners enjoy riding and wouldn't want to part with, you'll see all sorts: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/one-bike-what-is-it.477851/. In other words, look at the catalogues for guidance, and then find what works for you.

And avoid the BSOs. (This article should be part of the National Curriculum: https://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/No_BSO.asp)

This has probably been asked hundreds if not thousands of times, but how do you know whats worth buying?

As others have said, knowing where the bike fits into a brands hierarchy, the tubing material, the level of componentry all help.

There can be other reasons, such as quirkiness, rarity, brand heritage too. Hell, I have bought bikes because the brand or the model was something I lusted after BITD.

Depends what you want from it. If it's a collector frame to hang on the wall and fund your retirement then you're going to be more selective than if you just wanted a decent retro steed to ride.

For me, a big question is "is it a bike I'll actually use". I get a blast out of my Kona Lava Dome despite it being lower in the Kona food chain, it fits, it is fun to ride. Also have my Kona Hei Hei titanium but the Lave Dome is more to my working class roots. :cool: Riding vintage bikes is a guilty pleasure for me, like cruising in a vintage muscle car.

My most recent acquisition is a 1997 GT Saddleback I found dumped. 4130 frame, and clearance for 27.5" wheels and will also take 29" x 2.0" (I think - my 700c x 47 gravel treads fit with a tonne of room). It's going to be reborn as a bike packing rig. The price was right!

Last edited:
Last May I found a bike on Facebook marketplace, (see profile picture), it was a 1992 GT Pantera AL, it wasn't a high end model, but I owned one the same size and colour in 1993, my second GT after my GT Timberline got stolen. Unfortunately my Pantera AL got stolen not long after that too.
But now I have one again and it makes me smile every time I go out on it. It was well looked after but I did replace the chain, cassette and cables as the chain was a bit worn. However, I haven't spend loads of money on it since and it rides really well for a 32 year old bike!

Today I took delivery of a 1991 Trek Single Track 950 for £50 on FB Marketplace with the intention of cleaning it up and riding it. The frame is a True Temper lugged steel frame, which is nice to see. 16" frame with mostly original parts, I remember wanting one of those in 1991 but my money would only buy me a Trek Antelope 820, which wasn't as nice as this one I have now.
I also have a 1995 Mongoose Iboc Pro SX frame (steel) that needs a good clean and I will probably sell soon.
Ideally, I would love a steel GT frame from that same era as they were the most desired and I am a GT fan after all!

Depending on your level of mechanic knowledge, patience and funds there's a lot of fun to be had working on bikes from that era as I believe them to be the most interesting and possible the best value for money.
But most of all, have fun looking out for bikes you fancy. There's plenty of good advice and help to be found on this site!

Some amazing advice already on this thread. I would add two things.. Only go for bikes in your size. Sounds obvious I know, but if you determine a model that you really want to have, find one, but it is not the right size for you, then you will just not ride it.

The other thing is hubs/wheels/tyres. Whilst there is a lot to be said about the tubing of the frames and geometry, people often overlook the impact of great tyres on good wheels running on nice, smooth, hubs. I've spent a lot of time restoring old, rusty, or even seized, hubs to keep them original, but if is riding enjoyment you are after, then you cannot beat either NOS or new hubs and some decent grease!!

Back