Retro fitting disc mount to Zaskar

biggins

Retro Guru
I am considering getting discs, however as I have a 98 Zaskar I don't have a rear disc mount. Has anyone had one welded on and would recommend the place that did it?

Thanks

why weld? get an A2Z disc brake adaptor... around £20. zaskar dropouts circa 97/8 are flat and suit the adaptor perfectly. and no dodgy welding!

Bolt on.

You really don't want to be welding disk mounts to Alloy frames if you can avoid it.

Alloy frames are heat treated to strengthen them AFTER they have been welded. It's how you get strength into them. The heat from welding a disk mount would seriously weaken the frame just where you don't want to. ;)

OK you have convinced me welding is a rubbish idea. Don't like the idea of the bolt on adapter, seems an engineering compromise to me.

So I am back to rim brakes. My main issue is that the XT V's I have had since 1999 have always squealed on the front. I have tried different wheels and pads, cartridge and non-cartridge but never solved it. It is worst in damp conditions. Any further ideas to resolve the issue?

Or opinions on good rim/V brakes. I was looking at XT M770 for £20.

if it is only the front that squeels have you considered putting a disk on the front (if your fork has mounts) and leave the V at the back.

Back