Rene HERSE Cycles tech info.

Touring CX Gravel and Tandem bikes. They're located in Colorado US.
Umm. They do Randonneur/All road style -- with 14 hand built steel bikes, and a co-branded Gravel bike with Open. They're also located in Seattle.

I like their wide tires. Switching to them on the tandem gave me a 1.5mph average speed increase.

I like their wide tires. Switching to them on the tandem gave me a 1.5mph average speed increase.
Could you be more specific please. Did you go wider than you had before, and went faster too? I think that's the big question here.
Also which casing did you use? The standard, or the reinforced version? I'm going straight to the lightest one to see what this is all about.

I have seen some tests and measurements also once in a bike magazine proving that wider tires doesn't have to have a higher rolling resistance than smaller ones. In this test it was even quite the opposite and for some tires, they have testes various sizes of one and the same model.
There are a lot of other factors influencing rolling resistance, some are more important as simply the size.

Copying what the munchkins in the TDF ride has resulted in more crappy street bikes than anything else.
I don't know... I think the competitive side of cycling has driven innovation for a lot of the componentry that eventually trickled down into mass consumer bikes and as a result made more reliable, utilitarian bicycles. And more sporty commuters as well, for those so inclined. I don't feel that I am qualified to say that all of the racing industry is just wrong. I do think that there's been times where development has been stifled by the traditionalist/purist sides of road racing in particular as well. But I think it's probably more nuanced and I imagine for people to be able to pull off some of the feats that they do in alps, they must have the right tool for the job. That said there's already a trend of ever increasing tyre width in pro circles and it is clear that the benefits of skinnymadinky tyres at one gazillion psi are probably lost when not on the smoothest of all tracks.. but then it still serves a purpose. I actually agree with wider being better, and in terms of comfort it makes sense. But that's hardly new or groundbreaking. Every single trekking bike (hybrid) in the EU has been able to handle increased wider tyres since the late 90s, so it is clear that when it comes to all round riding, comfort is king and comfort comes at plusher sizes. What does get to me, though, is why there needs to always be a divide when it comes to anything in cycling, I echo grantoury, ride what you like. And surely if there were no point to the narrower tyres, they'd have been dead long ago, especially as frame clearance gets wider and wider.

At the end of the day we are on a forum devoted to bikes of an era where comfort wasn't exactly the focus, as we see by the wealth of people that go through excruciating pain to endure the norbaness of it all.

In MTB circles 26" is generally considered obsolete and retro.
I started a thread at MTBR on this and 5k views in 3 days, and 10 pages long. Lots of 1990s MTB coming out of storage.
It seems that one thread there has more interest in old bikes than this whole forum
I am a notorious sleeptalker
You should take up snoring.

Back