Removing allen bolt

I'd go with your original plan. Plusgas and heat then a torx bit, followed by a stud extractor (easyout) if needed.

I wouldn't go chewing the head up more trying to cut slots for screwdrivers if you have the 'right' tools for the job. It's only going to make it more difficult to centre a drill on the head. ;) AND if you do end up having to drill the thing out, at least you've started the hole.

Just be careful that the stud extractor doesn't break off if you have to 'lean' on it a bit. They're hard as nails but very brittle and not easy (almost impossible) to drill out if the worst happens.

greenstiles":unfeg3p7 said:
if there is enough head showing, put mole grips on very tight, and get a sleave, like length of scaffold to put over mole grips for leverage.

a length of scaffold !!!!

bloody hell mate its only an allen bolt .

do a search for irwin bolt grips, they are without doubt the most usefull tool i have ever bought and ive bought a lot! they have never failed to remove rusted rounded bolts out.

Thanks chaps.

Unfortunately it is recessed, so I'll try the hewat, then a tapered torx (I'll do that on my grinding wheel) then a full torx...

..then probably get a framebuilder to grind the whole lot off and braze a new one on after I make a mess of it! :D

Well, DID IT!

Bit of heat from a blowtorch, then counterbored about 1mm with a 6mm drill to get the torx started, then whacked in a torx (I'd filed off the tips of the torx to allow it to fit and get a first grip in the hole) while holding the torx with a mole grip.

Thanks guys.

Incidentally, I couldn't get any stud extractor to get any grip in the thing...

Back