Removing allen bolt

hamster

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Any advice on removing an allen bolt with a mangled head? It's in the BB eccentric clamp for my retro Dawes ATB tandem.

I've soaked it in Plus Gas, and will try a stud extractor after a bit of heat, un less someone has a better idea.

I could try bashing in a torx one size larger I suppose.

Use a Dremel or similar (like an angle grinder but much smaller is the best way I can describe it!) to form a crosshead on top of the bolt and use a screwdriver?

or if it isn't recessed, cut a slot in it with a hacksaw and use a flat head driver to get it out

You can try to smack a "torx" device in it and adjust. (thats how we call it in Holland, some kind of allen tool but with 8 points on it.... :? )

Martin":f0dujr2z said:
You can try to smack a "torx" device in it and adjust. (thats how we call it in Holland, some kind of allen tool but with 8 points on it.... :? )

Torx has 6 points. like an *

Sometimes i toy with the idea of changing all the bolts on my bike to torx, or triple square (double allen).

if there is enough head showing, put mole grips on very tight, and get a sleave, like length of scaffold to put over mole grips for leverage.

Which type is it? Is a clamp across a split shell or an expanding wedge internal/external bolt?
If its a split shell, i'd just hacksaw it. Otherwise drill the head off and then set about it with a hammer :twisted:

Latest posts

Back